The Distraction

I'm not sure how the boy managed to do it, but he ended up in an AP class, more importantly MY AP history class. We sat on opposite sides of the room, but still the question always lingered. How could an idiot like him get into an advanced class of any sort?

Mr. Gilmyre was exactly what you'd expect him to be a tall, lean, middle aged, teacher with glasses. He was my favorite teacher though because he went through chapters of the book with an amount of information no other teacher cared to provide.

"Class can anyone tell me who Abraham Lincoln was?"

A hand that usually doesn't go up shot into the air, Damon's.

"Yes, Mr. Lashyear?"

"Wasn't Lincoln like the tall guy or whatever?"

Mr. Gilmyre sighed.

"Each of you pick a partner and pick well because you are to do a paper on the presidents, each and every one of them!"

Okay, scrath that Mr. Gilymre isn't my favorite teacher...

I usually partnered up with Quinn for history projects but she was working with Amber.

Quinn was probably promised something in return, because she obviously would be doing ALL of the work. Considering how Amber was lazy and had others do her work. She was popular, something Quinn had always wanted to be.

Everyone except four people partnered off. Those unpaired were Damon, Jack his best friend, and a guy named Bryant.

Oh man! Maybe Mr. Gilmyre will let me work alone? Probably not.

Okay so Bryant is walking over, that's good right?

"So, um, do you know much about the presidents?" He asked.

"George Washington was the first."I stated.

"Cool! You're partners with Damon." He said, almost whispering and then turned to walk away.

"WHAT????" I nearly shouted.

I guess Damon took that as his que, because he casually strolled over then.

"Hey neighbor, I thought since we live next to each other we should work together."

I opened my mouth to protest but Damon cut me off.

"I'll be over at 6."

It looked as though he had more to say but the bell rang signaling the end of class.