Quidditch Report ~Quibbler

Ok so this was my Summer Reading project but I felt like posting it!!! So here ya go!

Quidditch

                What is Quidditch?

    Quidditch is a worldwide sport played by Witches and Wizards all over the world. It is a very popular sport and there are not many wizards/witches who haven’t heard of it. Quidditch is played on brooms and hosted at schools as well. A Quidditch pitch holds 6 hoops in the air and there are three on one side and three on the other side. 

                How do you play Quidditch?

    Quidditch requires 3 different balls. The quaffle, though seems ordinary, is charmed to drop very slowly when thrown in the air so players do not need to continuously dive to grab it. The quaffle is a spherical ball and weighs about the size of a football though hollow. The quaffle is shot between the three rings (each team has 3) by the chasers, and every time a team scores they are rewarded with 10 points. The keepers are to block the other team from scoring the quaffle.

The other ball is a bludger and there are two of them in a game flying around trying to knock players off their brooms. They are round, jet-black, and made of iron. These are obstacles that the players have to face. The two beaters have to shoo away the bludgers with bats and keep them away from the other players.

Finally there is the Golden Snitch. The Golden Snitch is a small golden ball the size of a walnut. It has wings and is super-fast. The Golden Snitch is the most important ball in the entire game. The snitch flies around the pitch but it so small it’s hard to see from distance. The seekers job is to catch the snitch and earn their team 150 points and end the game.

                What are the positions in Quidditch?

    There are 7 players.  And they are: three Chasers, 2 Beaters, one Keeper, and one Seeker.

The Chasers are supposed to score quaffles through the rings and score 10 points for their team.

The Beaters keep the bludgers away from the team.

A keeper guards the rings to try to stop the other team from scoring.

A seeker finds and grabs the snitch.

                Are there different versions of Quidditch?

In fact yes there is. Quodpot is a variant of Quidditch popular in the United States, the Western Hemisphere and, as a minority, Europe. There are eleven players on a side, who throw the Quod, a Quaffle modified to explode after a certain amount of time, from player to player, attempting to get it into the "pot" at the end of the pitch before it explodes. Any player in possession of the Quod when it explodes is disqualified. Once the Quod is in the "pot" (a cauldron containing a solution which prevents it from exploding), the scoring team is awarded a point and a new Quod is brought onto the pitch.

Thank you for reading the new article on wizarding sports. The Quibbler bids you good-bye and thank you once more.

-          Irish_child_prodigy

Writer on Sports and Entertainment in the Muggle and Wizarding world.