Chapter 16

You can buy this book and all the books in The Belinda & Bennett Mysteries at Amazon, iBooks, B&N, Kobo, and Smashwords. 

Belinda followed Bennett back to the pool, where Mrs. Sykes still slumped in a lounge chair fanning herself. Mr. Sykes had skedaddled, but most of the guests still lingered around as if unsure if someone being carried away on a stretcher meant the party was over.

She straightened her shoulders and tried to walk like she wasn't completely stressed out or about to start fanning herself like Mrs. Sykes, who only needed some smelling salts to complete the picture. Belinda dialed Brooke, who didn't answer, and left a message about Sawyer. She figured Brooke would want to know.

Bennett walked toward the bar like he had a mission. If there was anything even remotely drinkable back there, Belinda had a mission too. Kori looked their way curiously, but stayed with the cluster of people she was with. Caleb seemed long gone. Bennett checked out the bar area, his face all knitted up.

"I think you need to do your hosting thing," he said, "and tell everybody to get out of here."

Belinda happily agreed, went around the bar to get everyone's attention and managed to herd everyone out with Victoria's help, offering restaurant recommendations in the process. She thanked the last person for coming, forcing out an "If you need anything, please let me know," and closed the front door behind them. Victoria helped Mrs. Sykes upstairs, who took some sort of prescription medication and went to bed.

Bennett was still outside by the bar and waved to get her attention.

"Go grab some plastic bags," he commanded when she got closer. "We need to try and save everything Sawyer put in his mouth."

"What about the police?"

"I left Jonas a message, but we can't risk losing anything." Bennett pulled out the trash can from under the bar. "You wanna do some detective work?" He asked the question like, 'If you want to do some detective work, then you're staying here where I can monitor your activity.' "Go get the plastic bags."

Unsure that this was really what she wanted to do, Belinda found some plastic bags after going through most of the kitchen. She guessed Aidan must've retreated shortly after she saw him, because he was nowhere to be found.

Victoria padded down the stairs as Belinda stacked the cardboard boxes in her arms. "How's Mrs. Sykes?" Belinda said.

"Snoring." Victoria glanced out through the open French door. "What're you up to?"

"Collecting evidence, I think." Belinda peeked around the door. Bennett sniffed the inside of a martini glass. "He just told me to get plastic bags, so I'm doing it."

They shuffled back out to the bar. Bennett wrapped a sandwich bag around his hand and held out the glass he'd sniffed. Belinda picked at the opening to a gallon-size bag, finally prying it open, and secured it again after Bennett tucked the glass inside. "You don't think what happened was an accident?"

Bennett ignored her question and nodded to the box of sandwich bags.

"What?"

Bennett's eyes glinted. "You're going to help."

"Help do what?"

Bennett nodded toward the trash. "More than likely, he drank or ate something that nearly killed him. We need to collect as much as possible."

Belinda shook her head. "I'm not going through the trash. I'll open plastic bags and close them, but I'm not digging for half-eaten food. You can do that."

Victoria watched on the sidelines, just enjoying the show.

"Besides," Belinda folded her arms, "I don't have time. Goodness knows what kind of dent this will put in my week, so I really need to get home and work." Or hurry up to Sawyer's inn while he's still in the hospital...but Bennett didn't need to know that.