Chapter 5: The East Tower

It was still pitch black outside in the garden, save a single oil lamp dangling from the cottage porch. The night stood still, and the air was refreshingly crisp. I had returned briefly inside the house to grab another two blankets for Louis and Isaac, who had cozied up on the bench on either side of me. I could tell Louis was about to doze off, and in fear that he would make me start the entire story over due to his lack of attentiveness, I called it a night.

"I don't know why you are acting as if I've committed a crime, my dear Charlotte I do say you ought to continue your story now I am wide awake. I'm simply resting my eyes and if that is punishable by death in your handbook, then by all means I deem you within your rights to put an end to my life right here, right now." Louis ranted.

"Louis Docherty, I dare say that you are the most dramatic personality I have ever come across in all my days." Stated Isaac.

"All your days of course, And that's been how long, twenty years?" Said Louis sarcastically.

"Oh you know what, why don't you just-"

I tried to cut the laughable tension by interrupting their banter, "Anyways, if you don't want me to stop then you better settle in."

"This part'll be good, I feel it." Louis nudged Isaac.

"Don't go holdin' me to any standard that you know I won't live up to," I teased. They chuckled with me and Louis took his seat once again.

"Please miss Lottie," Started Isaac, "Continue with your tale."

"Emile and I had made plans to meet each other the following night. Now that we were acquainted, and now that he was finding his way about the manor, we saw it fit to do some more digging in the study. But that next day my father never left, so we decided to go exploring another part of the estate.

I had been thinking about our next meeting all day, so when the evening drew nearer, I found myself jittering with excitement. After supper when the sun began to set I thanked my mother and quickly rushed up to my chambers. I hastily drew the curtains and blew out the fire, making it seem from the outside of the grounds that the person inhabiting this room was either missing or soundly asleep. I placed the plumpest pillows I owned under the sheets to mimic my body, then put on my slippers and began to chart our course of action for the evening. I drew up many different plans initially. We could go to the far edge of the courtyard, out by the chapel and cemetery, or we could explore the cellar.but there was one area of the estate that I had already found quite interesting, and I thought Emile might enjoy it as well.

Before its collapse, the East tower stood taller than all the rest, but it also held many more secrets than the other three. From my previous expeditions, I already knew of many of its mysteries. There were hidden drawers in the larger stones, so that if someone brushed it the wrong way, it popped open, beholding the treasures of the house. There was also a secret tunnel hidden behind the stairs which led underground to a peculiar bunker. All you had to do was out one of the bars on the railing, and the stones behind it fell away. This is what I was going to show Emile that next night.

Just as I was preparing to leave for Emile's room, I noticed the light still on in my father's study. He had been shut away from the family for what felt like months, but in reality was only a few weeks. He was a peculiar man; tall and lengthy, slim, nearly sick-looking at times. His face indented at the cheeks, and his eyebrows drooped whenever his face relaxed. He slouched both standing and sitting, and he always kept a cane by his side. He was fragile, though he was not nearly old enough to need the cane, but it brought him a sense of security that my mother and I would never understand.