First Day

''Did you pack your lunch?'' 

''Yes, Ma. You watched me do it before we left.'' 

''What about your books?'' 

''Yes. Again, you watched me pack them before we left.'' 

''Right, I did. OH SHIT, did you bring your bag?!'' 

''No, I left the house on my first day at a new school without the one thing I'm meant to bring just to piss you off. Yes, obviously I've got my bag.'' 

My Ma had been asking all of these silly questions since we left our house. I couldn't be annoyed, I knew she was just nervous for me. First day of school in a new country, with new people. I was nervous myself but tried not to show it. Partly because I didn't want my mother to worry anymore than she already was, but mostly because I couldn't be seen to be weak on my first day. In my old school in Ireland, that shit got you beaten up. 

As nervous as I was about my first day and being in England in general, I was grateful too. I love Ireland and I love my friends back home, but the memories of being back there remind me that I'm better off where I am. 

Arriving at Abbey Grove, I shook any bad memories away and hopped out of the car, waving my bag in front of my Mam to prove I had my bag and grabbed the few books I couldn't fit in it. She blew me a kiss and tod me she loved me to which I replied the same before walking to the entrance. 

Approaching the front gates, I saw a guy a bit older than me in a uniform slapping books out of other students' hands. 

Great, I thought, my first asshole of the day and its not even 8 a.m. ... 

After snickering at the girl who had bent down to retrieve her books, he looked at me, eyes narrowing in confusion. 

He obviously knows I'm new, he's definitely gonna start on me. 

''Oi, is you new?'' 

I blinked at him and continued walking only to be stopped by a large arm. 

Brilliant. 

''I asked you a question short arse.'' 

I turned and stared at him with a bored expression on my face. 

''You is definitely new, I ain't seen ya before. So that's why I'm gonna tell ya. Every mornin' you is gonna come to school and let me slap your books out of your hands or else I'll do worse, Yeah?'' 

He reached his hand out towards my textbooks. 

''You touch my books and I'll knock you out pal.'' 

''Ooh, is the short arse a bad girl? That's how I like 'em.'' 

''Yeah, a bad girl that trains MMA. Now, fuck off.''

I looked at him and spat on the ground onto his runners. 

He grabbed my arms and tried pushing me to the fence. But before he could manage, I threw a right hook. Granted, I'm not as strong as he is but I still managed to clip his nose. He pulled back and grabbed his face which was seeping blood at this point. 

I laughed and began walking again. 

What a knob. 

.                                                                                                    .                                                                                               .

After an induction with the principle Mr. Frayser ( during which he insisted I call him Fray Dawg), I began making my way down the halls to my class.