Chapter 8

True to his word, Hogan arrived in the infirmary that evening.

"Hey. I'm back," He smirked at Wilson.

"Welcome back, then," Wilson nodded to the beds.

Hogan sat down on the cot next to Cohen's, and the boy smiled wanly. He looked a little pitiful in his oversized long johns, pale and utterly exhausted, but he was smiling, "Hey. You been feelin' better?" Beyond him, he noted that the bunk occupied by O'Shea was now empty. That was good.

Cohen shrugged, and gave a thumbs up, and then pointed to his throat and shrugged again.

"Yeah, don't try to talk. Bored yet?"

He shook his head and held up the book he'd had open in his lap.

"Treasure Island. How many times have you read that already?" Hogan grinned.

Cohen paused, and counted on his fingers, and then held up is hands in a "Who knows?" gesture.

"Good for rereading, though?" A nod, "You got any others queued up for when you're finished?"

Cohen shook his head sadly.

"Bugger." Hogan was about to say more when the door swung open and a younger man stepped in.

"Hey, Wilson, it's about time for dinner. Oh, hi, Colonel," He straightened.

"Hi. Loewe?"

"Yessir," He glanced at Wilson, obviously hoping for some sort of conversational cue. Hogan forgot at times how awkward it probably was for a corporal to be conversing with a full-bird colonel. He was a quiet one, too, if he remembered correctly from the few times Wilson had sent him to Barracks 2 with a shopping list or something of the like.

Wilson shook his head, "I'll be by later, Loewe. I ate."

Loewe rolled his eyes, "I'll bring you something. Again." Hogan got the feeling Wilson did this a lot.

"Hey, Wilson," Hogan glanced at his watch, "If you like, I can sit with Cohen while you eat."

"No, sir, you got to eat too."

"I'll get LeBeau to scramble some eggs. Tastes better than anything coming from the mess hall anyways."

Wilson raised an eyebrow, but stood up, "You think you can?"

"Sure," Hogan waved him on, "How hard can it be?"

Both gazes darted away and Loewe said, "Thanks, Colonel."

"I'll be quick," Wilson said.

"Yeah, go on," Hogan waved them off and then turned back to the room, "You still alive, Cohen?"

The boy smiled weakly and nodded.

"There we go. I just gotta keep you alive. You got water right there, you've got blankets, you're good," Hogan grinned, "That ain't hard."

Cohen nodded his agreement. Then he motioned back towards Barracks 2 and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, the mission?"

He nodded and Hogan went on, "I sent Barnes and Garlotti with Hiedler. Since they were in the cooler anyways they're easier to cover for, and Hochstetter doesn't bother with the guys in the cooler anyways. And he's more focused on me anyways," Hogan raised an eyebrow, "But Wilson told me he was asking you some questions?"

Cohen nodded quickly.

Hogan sighed, "Don't know why he was in here. Don't like it, either, and he knows that."