Not All Girls Are Pink Chapter One

Chapter One

I stare at my body in the mirror, I rub my eyes and let them rest on my exposed skin, the rest covered in my black singlet and my brown shorts. I suffocate a yawn, stretching my hands as I press play on my phone. 

  Normal by Dadju comes up, his sleek voice filling my ears as I move my body to the beats as the song plays on

  Knock knock! I groan "Yes ma?!" "Abeg, reduce that noise and come down here!" "Dadju isn't noise" "Music that loud this morning is noise no matter the singer! So turn that noise off, and come help me!" I roll my eyes, fumbling for my phone as I pause the song. I give myself a once over, I stare at my picture stuck to the side of the mirror. I shudder and grab the picture, tossing it into my drawer. I hurry out.

  I step out of my room and breathe in the fresh smell of pancakes and honey. My stomach grumbles. I walk down the stairs, smiling at Adachi the help as I make my way towards mum in the kitchen.

  "Bonjour" I give her a cheeky smile which she returns "Bonjour" I close my eyes "You know, I love helping you make pancakes" she gives me a look "Because its the only thing you can do" I pout "Still ma" she sighs "What is the use Tiger?  You wouldn't have woken up either way so why stress?"

  I follow her to the fridge as she grabs a tin of milk "How are you, Tiger? Still feverish?" I smile "I feel sexy so that's something" mum chortles, slapping my arm "At least that’s better than the body insecurities. Ready to start school again? Sure you miss your friends" I shrug, following her out of the kitchen with the bowl of Quaker Oats

  "I'm more excited about the drama competition" I drop the bowl on the table "I wonder what Miss Blessing would give me" I don't get an immediate reply as mum beckons for Adachi. She turns to me "Well, lead role I hope. It's what you deserve" I ease into the black leather chair "I hope so too"

   Ma and Adachi sit and mum shares the Quakers Oats "Given the security and Driver food?" Adachi nods, bread crumbs falling out of her mouth. We eat in silence. My phone buzzes, it's a text from Nina. They're close.

  I planned to hang out with Nina and Suze today considering I haven't seen them in four days. I look up from my phone, stealing glances at ma. I rush my food, kissing Ma on the cheek as I drop my plate inside the dishwasher "Ma, Nina, and Suze are Close by. I'm going to go change now"

  Ma looks at me, her face indecipherable "Where are you guys going again?" "To Genesis" she pauses. Oh please don't stop me now I think as she drops her fork. Chewing like a slug

  "When are you coming back?" "Not later than six" "Five" "Ma" she throws me a fierce look "Thanks ma. I'll be home early" I force a smile on my face as I walk up the stairs, ignoring as she shouts "Sarcasm gets you nowhere Tiger!"

  I pull open my cupboard, searching for what to wear as I settle for a pair of black shorts and a pink shirt

  I grab my favorite pair of sandals, packing my braids up and letting two down. I met Nina and Suze when I got into St. Catherine's secondary school months ago and we bonded.

  Wonder if it will change if they knew.

  My phone rings and I climb the bed, picking it up "Hey Nina" "Yo, we are outside your gate. Coming or not?" "Well, come inside" Nina makes a sound "I think I will pass" I purse my lips "Sure Nina" I grab my debit card, my lip gloss, power bank, Air Pods, and my iPhone. I trudge out of my room

  " Stay safe " I smile at mum to ease the worry creases on her temple as I head out of the door. I sprint towards the car, Suze’s red lips stretched at the sides, crinkling the corners of her hazel eyes. Drake's song blare from the speakers, Ma would talk about that.

  "Hey guys" I jump into the backseat, the smell of chocolate in the air. I lift my nose and inhale deeply “I love your makeup” Nina salutes me "You look a lot better" "Took drugs" Suze increases the volume, my ears twitch as she zooms off. “I wish ma will let me drive” I grumble, staring at the interiors “You’re not eighteen yet Tiger” Suze says with a laugh

  Nina chimes in “Let’s not forget she’s super rich” Suze polishes her nails on her Armani dress.

  "So how has the school been? Cast list out?" I ask, searching my bag for my phone. "Well, Miss Blessing is stalling," Suze says, eyes on the road "Most likely because of you" I snort

  "Me?" Nina looks at me "Quit being so modest" I frown, peering down at my phone and replying messages. I see a message from an unknown number. Scrunching up my nose, I let my finger hover around the message. I tap it.

  I stare at the message. I reread It and squeal. Nina jumps, turning back, her dark eyes narrowed. "What is making you so excited Tiger?"

  I grin "So guess who texted me?" Nina raises her brows "No way! Thomas?!" I nod, Nina joins me to scream. Suze covers her ears for a minute then breaks into a grin "What did he say?"

  I peer down at my phone "Hi Tiger, its Thomas. Heard you are sick. Get well soon" I look up. They coo and we guffaw

  "Reply him Tiger. Say something sweet" I titter "Something like?" Suze shrugs "Just something sweet" I type my reply

  *I'm fine. Thanks*.

  I hit send. "Is he online?" Nina asks, opening a box of chocolate and offering us one each "Thanks. And no, he's not online" she pouts "We could have had so much fun right now. Well you are lucky bitch! I wish I got sick" we laugh and I smile to myself, legs bobbing up and down.

  I can't wait to tell Dr. Souleymanou. We stay silent after that, blathering once in a while about school happenings. When we reach Genesis, Suze parks her BMW and we all get down. I stretch, texting mum of my current location. I get an immediate reply which makes me cackle

  "Thomas?" Suze asks, flicking her hair away from her face. I stare at her as she grabs her bag "No, its my mum" Nina snorts "Mama's girl" I don't answer her, I turn to stare at Suze as she locks the car door, pulling out her lip gloss.

  Light skinned with sparkling cat-like eyes, having a Belgium father sure adds to her spice.

   She turns to look at me, and I look away, cheeks hot. “Let’s go” Suze mutters as we walk side by side. “Why are you at the back Tiger?” Suze yells over her shoulder “She is staring at my butt” Nina taunts as I sprint. I hit Nina’s head and grin “You wish Nina, you wish”

  I’m lucky I met them.

Don't forget to like, share with your friends, comment down below if you're excited and if you want to read ahead, just head to theyouthsbar.com for available chapters not yet here❤️