Chapter 1

A/N: hi, i just wanted to say thank you for giving this book a chance. It is a fantasy/romance but it may take a chapter or two to get into it. also, i please don't be shy to tell me what i can do better: trust me, i wont be offended.

anyways, enjoy the first chapter, people!

---<~>---

Crown Princess Katharine Anne Bowman of Aihsland stood in front of her long mirror, the bright sun of the early morning reflecting off the gold-plated leaf-and-flower patterns creating delicate rainbows scattered around her spacious room. She then went over her agenda for the day: avoid her cousins at all costs.

She had never hated her cousins, but always somehow found them unlikeable and just, plainly, a pain in her ass. They were arriving today for one of her cousin's 18th birthday and Katharine had no intention whatsoever to run into any of them unless she was forced to. There was to be a ball tonight. Every male member of the immediate royal family had one when they came of age (usually to inherit a Lord or Duke title). It was also a chance for that said male royal family member to loom for a suitable wife to raise their nuclear family in an unhappy marriage for the rest of their lives. Complete sexist crap if you ask me. But when does anyone?

She was told - more like ordered - by her father to wear something nice for their arrival. Katharine decided to wear a maroon dress (her personal favourite) which had short sleeves with shoulders and ruffles cascading down the back of her skirt, accentuating her curves. The dress went beautifully with her long hair tied half back falling in chestnut and dirty blond waves down her back.

A soft knock sounded through the door behind her and in followed two pairs of footsteps: small padding, and delicate feet. The yapping of a certain tricoloured Cavalier King Charles Spaniel accompanied those footsteps.

"Hiya Lola," Katharine exclaimed at the sight of her beloved dog, bending over to pick her up off the floor and showering the dog in love

"Lola has had her breakfast, Your Highness," said the source of the second pair of footsteps.

"Thank you, Polly," Katharine said to her maid. Polly Kadef had been Katharine's maid since she was 11 and had basically brought her up during the past five and a half years. She had a gentle soul which reflected beautifully in her blue eyes like the ocean shimmering under the sun's unforgiving rays.

"You look lovely today, Your Highness," Polly said, her voice soothing.

"You say that every day," she replied. It was true though; Katharine got the looks from her mother - who truly was beautiful and always managed to turn heads with it wherever she went.

"Yes, but today I actually mean it," Polly said. Then her smile slipped from her face as she realised what she had just said.

Katharine only smirked and said, "So you didn't mean it yesterday?"

"O-of course I did, Your Highness," she stuttered, suddenly finding a spot on the floor very interesting.

"I'm only joking, Polly," Katharine reassured her, "I know you didn't mean it,"

There was a comfortable silence between them before Katharine ending it, "Right, I'm going to take this one," she said, pointing to Lola, "for a walk around the gardens. And if anyone asks where I am..." - she pretended to think - "tell them I've gone to the library," Katharine put Lola back on the floor, collected her lead and headed out.

The walk to the gardens was lengthy, considering she had to avoid bumping into her family or any members of court. Once she eventually managed to sneak out of the palace without being spotted, she headed straight across the lawn and to the hedges that separated the singular gardens.