Chapter 4

Girl Meets Smackle
It had been about three weeks since the whole situation with Delilah, Riley, and Maya. And if Delilah's being honest, nothing really changed regarding their views of life and attitudes. But they weren't bothering her, so that was a plus.
Riley and Maya stopped following her around and stopped trying to invite her to things. They went back into their little circle with Farkle and Lucas. If anything, it was like Delilah never came to the school. She liked it that way though.
Sure, she thought that the girls were still self-centered, sheltered, selfish, and any other adjective of the sort, but they weren't bringing her into it so she didn't really care.
Here she was, in history class learning yet another lesson that was focused around the teacher's daughter and her friends. She seriously thought Mr. Matthews had a problem with this type of stuff. She understood fathers could be protective—even though she hadn't experienced much of that—but this was crazy. How does he honestly expect Riley to grow up and become a mature adult.
"Ancient Greece—"
"What that? What that that?"
'Oh great,' Delilah thought. 'Here they go. I can't wait until I get out of this class.'
"What th-this?" Cory said while pointing to mentioned object. "This is a present."
"Is it for me?" Of course that'd be the first question Riley asked.
"What's your game, Matthews?" And of course that'd be the first thing Maya asked.
'Were they really that oblivious?' The curly haired child wondered. 'He said Ancient Greece in the beginning. Do they not know any history?'
"Game? I mean no game. I just want to know who here wants this present."
Everyone raised their hands except Maya and Delilah. She knew what Maya was trying to do, but she just honestly didn't care for what was happening in the class whatsoever. It was obvious she wouldn't be learning anything from here, so she would have to take it into her own hands to learn 7th grade history even though she knew all of it was lies and had been white-washed. But that's a story for another time I suppose.
"Oh, Maya, what? You assume by playing hard to get, I'm gonna give it to you?"
See? It doesn't even matter if she participates or not. She sits in the back of the class and no one pays attention or really cares about the kids back there.
It wasn't that Matthews didn't particularly care, she guessed. It's just that he cared about his daughter and her friends' lives too much to focus on the fact that there were other children in the class who sought the same attention and care he gave them. But he was so blinded by his helicopter-parenting, he didn't see it.
Delilah had spoken to Mr. Matthews a couple of times personally; when she stayed at school late reading at the library and sometimes they'd bump into each other in the apartment halls. She couldn't deny that he was a pretty decent person and father but if he was going to teach, he needs to learn to separate home and school. He shows obvious favoritism.
     "Well, yes. That's one of the many arrows in my quiver," Maya replied.
     Farkle shudders and adds his own input to the conversation, "Medieval talk—What are you doing to me, woman?"
    Delilah's face scrunched up as she was somewhat concerned and uncomfortable with that statement.
     "Riley." 'Of course she was chosen.'
     Riley proceeds to open the box once it's handed to her, "The Trojan horse?"
     "Surprise."
     "This isn't a present. This is one of your life lessons wrapped up in a class lesson wrapped up in a box of nothing."
     It was kind of funny to see her stress. Delilah particularly didn't want people to suffer per-say, but she enjoyed watching when someone did; only if they deserved it though.
     And was Riley really just realizing that his supposed class lesson are life lesson? If so, Delilah figured all hope was lost for the child.
     "How you doing, honey?"
     "I'm all worked up."
     "I know," Maya said.
     Cory continued his lecture, "You assumed because it was all neat and pretty that something good was inside. Ancient Troy was protected by walls. The Greeks couldn't get in, so they built a big wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think the Trojans did?"
     "They left it there because they were afraid that somebody was trying to teach them something," Riley said. How self-centered can one person be?
     "They captured it as a trophy and brought it inside. That night, the Greek soldiers crawled out of the horse and defeated Troy. What have we learned here?"
     Mr. Matthews paused and chose Lucas who raised his hand.
     "Don't make assumptions based on what you see?"
"Riley, listen, I'm sorry I made an example of you. So here's a gift for you."
"Ooh—No! I want to—No! Pretty ribbon—No!"
Delilah rolled her eyes for what felt like the hundredth time that morning. The children in this class, I swear.
"I'll take my chances with that, sir," Lucas said. It was quite obvious to Delilah that this was another part of a plan. It was getting quite old at this point.
"No, Lucas. You have to assume it was no good because the first one was no good.  Aren't you all proud of me, dad?"
"No!"
She can't lie. She did laugh a little at that. She was probably heard given  the way Maya was giving her the stank eye.
Lucas proceeds to read the card, ignoring whatever banter that just happened between the father and daughter.
"Get out of detention free."
     "Ooh, I could use one of those. Gimme that and I won't call you 'Ranger Rick' all week."
     "Here you go," Lucas hands Maya the card and she snatches it.
     "Thanks, Ranger Roy."
     "Lemme guess. Ranger Roy is filling in for Ranger Rick?"
     "All week. And now... you," Maya says turning her attention to Matthews.
     "Oh, is something gonna happen to me?"
     "Yes, it is." Maya proceeds to get on his desk and dance to some stupid tune she sings. "A d-d-d-d, a d-d-d-d a d-d-d-detention. But not today. Boom!"
     "Read the card."
     "Huh?"
     "Card."
     Maya does as he says and reads the card, "Say 'get out of detention free' then give worthless card to Maya then watch her dance on my desk."
     She goes back to her desk as Cory continues his lecture.
     "Never assume. Look more deeply. Just because something is wrapped up all pretty, doesn't always mean it is."
     Instead of paying attention to the lesson, Maya turns to Lucas, "You were in on this!"
     "I'm Ranger Roy and I'll be here all week."
     "Oh-ho-ho."
-
Debate was a huge part of Delilah's life. Not because she was part of the school's club, but many events caused for her to argue.
It was a tough life she led in Mississippi; where in her town, those believed she didn't deserve basic human rights. There, she had to constantly make arguments and explain that just because she looked different doesn't mean she's not a person. Main idea of it all is that if her beliefs or morals are challenged, then she will fight for them. No matter the cost.
So maybe that's how she ended up at this stupid school debate, where they were arguing about school uniforms. Or maybe she was here because her mom was working late and she didn't want to be alone in that apartment for so long. The incident from just before they left still haunted her.
"...in conclusion, school uniforms reduce individuality which will be unnecessary in the real world when you're all working for me. Thank you. I am Farkle!"
She was in the back row. She didn't feel exactly comfortable here, but she couldn't exactly go to the library since Ms. Williams wasn't there.
"I don't understand debate," Riley had said.
"I say you do," Maya replied.
"Okay."
Lucas, the ever moral compass, added to the conversation.
"I like debate—exploring two sides of the same thing—good and bad, light and dark, right in front of you at the same time. Where else are you gonna get that? Oh, right here. Look at you."
"And now from Einstein academy," Cory began, reading the paper, "undefeated this season, 72 pounds of raw intellectual power! She is who your mama wishes she gave birth to!" The one, the only... Smackle!"
The introduced walks out on stage, "You goin' down, chump," and grabs the microphone. "Wearing a uniform makes you surrender to conformity and sacrifices uniqueness, which is our most valuable freedom. Don't let anybody tell you what to wear. Don't let anybody tell you what to be. Smackle, the one and only, out."
Wow she's smart and beautiful...wait, what?
"Well, before I announce the winner, let me remind you all that our final debate of the season will be held right here next week, where our thought-provoking topic will be 'Is beauty only skin deep?'"
Cory revives the results, "Great, thank you. So the winner of today's debate is...Isadora Smackle, Einstein academy."
Everyone began to clap in congratulations.
"It looks like our debate team could use some help," Riley said.
"Yeah, Smackle's definitely got game," Lucas replied.
"She beats Farkle every time. You think he's gotten used to it by now?"
Farkle was laying on the ground, groaning.
"It hurts."
Guess he hasn't gotten used to it.
     Delilah watched their conversation unfold with a judging eye. She didn't really understand the group's dynamic, but she couldn't say anything.
     Watching Maya bad Riley walk away to the melon balls, she furrowed her eyebrows. What great moral support they are.
     She saw Smackle lean down and talk to Farkle who was still laying on the floor. Did he not know how unsanitary that is?
     "Valiant effort as usual, my arch-nemesis. Perhaps a smoothie would take the sting out of my latest victory."
     "Yeah. Perhaps you're right. I'll go see." Farkle tries to get up but Smackle pushes him back down.
     "Smackle, you fool. You forgot how literal he is." She stands and continues her statement. "Farkle, I meant would you like to get a smoothie with me?"
     For some reason, that sentence made a pit in Delilah's stomach. She didn't want Smackle going out with Farkle, but she didn't know why. It's not like she can stop her from doing anything because that's wrong and she would be hypocritical. And if there's anything the preteen hates, it's hypocrites.
     Maybe she was just jealous that everyone wanted to hang out with the 'golden group'. Maybe she wanted someone to go to when she was lonely or when she wanted to simply hang out and converse. Maybe she was tired of being lonely and she didn't know how to fix it.
-
     As everyone was leaving the gym, Delilah stayed back and cleaned up a bit of the trash. 'Kids,' she thought. Although she was a child herself she refused to associate herself with the ones who could barely clean up after themselves.
     But she didn't stay back just to clean. She wanted to see the debate champion. To be honest, she doesn't know what compelled her to do so. She hates interacting with people, especially those in her age range. There was something in her, begging to talk to her. Maybe she'd finally make a friend.
     The curly haired teen was throwing a water bottle in the recycling bin when Smackle was walking towards the doors to exit. 'Here goes nothing.'
     "Hey! Isadora!"
     The young girl turned to see who was calling her name and was faced with a new girl she hadn't ever seen before. 'Hm, she is pretty. Huh?'
     Delilah stood there for a good five seconds, just staring at her. God, why was she so nervous.
     She cleared her throat and shook herself out of the daze.
     "Um, I just wanted to, um, congratulate you on the win. You probably win a bunch of debates, but this is my first one; I'm new here. But you're really good, like really good."
     "Um, thank you. You are?"
     "Shit, sorry. Uh Delilah. Delilah Jones."
      Both preteens stood in awkward silence. Delilah didn't know why she was so bad at this, but for some reason talking to Smackle was harder.
     She decided to say a few more things before leaving.
     "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard your conversation."
     This peaked Isadora's interest so she raised her head.
     "With those girls, Riley and Maya. Um, your plan is really cool."
     Smackle's eyes widened. No one had ever been able to figure her out, so how was this girl she had just met, able to do so in less than 5 minutes.?
     "They won't suspect a thing, honestly if that's what you're worried about. They're completely clueless in more ways than one. But um, I'm gonna go because I need to get home."
     She goes back to grab her backpack and walks past the other girl and out the door. But before she went any further, she turned around and looked at her hopefully new friend.
     "And, I don't know if this means anything to you coming from me but I think you're beautiful."
     Both girls left the building flustered with heated faces.
-
When Delilah got home that evening, she was in deep thought. She was constantly wondering why she was so nervous around Smackle; it's not like the girl was threatening or able to harm someone. She was shorter than her. 'And why on earth did I call her beautiful. Jesus just take the wheel.'
Her mother was on the couch watching tv when she came in. Layla jumped off the couch and walked quickly towards her daughter to give her a hug.
"Oh thank goodness. I was so worried; you're almost thirty minutes late. Why were you so late Delilah?"
She dragged her to the couch and pulled her down.
"I was going to wait until your birthday to give you a phone, but today...I just need to give it to you now so I don't get paranoid like I did."
     The child nodded her head, somewhat confused because she missed half of the things her mother said since she was talking so fast.
     "Yeah, uh sorry. I stayed back to pick up some trash that was on the floor. You know how much I hate when people don't pick up their stuff and-"
     "And leave it all for the custodians to clean. Yeah, I know."
     Delilah decided not to tell her mom about her conversation with the student from Einstein Academy. While some thought having a conversation with someone new wasn't all that monumental, it was for the preteen and her mom.
     Delilah's always had problems with social interaction and occasionally being in crowded areas. She would get nervous, sometimes so much she'd have panic attacks or harm herself in an effort to stay calm.
     It always frustrated her that she could barely hold conversations that probably toddlers could. It bothered her that she couldn't make friends as easily and that she was easily irritable. It bothered her that she could barely be in a full classroom without feeling suffocated.
She knows this is not something to be ashamed of. Plenty of people go through these things just as she does. But she doesn't know anyone like her. She doesn't know anyone that breaks out in a nervous sweat just because someone is in within five feet of her. She doesn't know anyone that fidgets or tics when they're in uncomfortable situations.
Her mom does always make it better though. She knew how to calm her down; what to do and what to say to make her feel better. Whether Delilah feels particularly rough around the edges one day and kind of bouncy the next, her mom was always there. Miles too, well at least he was before they moved.
     So as much as she loved her mother, she didn't really feel like talking her feelings out with being so tired.
     The preteen watched as she grabbed a rectangular box out of her purse.
     "Now, I know it's not the best phone, but it's really all we can afford right now I'm-"
     "Mom."
     Layla looked up at her daughter.
     "It's perfect; I love it. Thank you."
     Delilah opened the box and with her mom's help they set up the phone.  While it wasn't movie night, it was great time to spend with her parent and get her mind off of all her previous nerves.
-
It was lunch time and Delilah was making her way to the library once again.
     Walking down the halls, she found someone that didn't seem very familiar and if she's being honest they looked lost as well.
     Usually, she was not one to investigate; never being interested or concerned in other people's lives. But today, she was feeling different.
     The person turned as Delilah grew closer and she saw that it was Isadora.
     "Oh. Hello, Delilah," the genius said.
     The curly-haired brunette furrowed her eyebrows and looked over Smackle's outfit.
     "Um, you look...different."
     "Do you consider that good or bad?"
     She tilted her head in response and thought of what to say.
     "I mean you look good, don't get me wrong but...it's not you. This doesn't scream Isadora Smackle to me. Just promise me that you won't stay like this and be someone you're not. I like you as you."
     With that, the preteen made her way to the library at a fast pace. There was no way she wasn't about to talk to Ms. Williams about this.
-
"Were you socially awkward when you were my age?"
"Why do you think I work in a library?"
Delilah rolled her eyes at the librarian. Over the month or so she's been at the school, the two grew closer and created a bond. They were 'sisters from different misters'. It was common for the two to gossip about any and everything either during the preteen's lunch period or after school when she stayed behind.
"I'm being serious."
Jamaya looked up with a raised eyebrow at the student.
"So am I."
The girl huffed and sat at the stool that was placed there specifically for her. She rested her head in her palms and started to get lost in thought and bite her bottom lip.
Ms. Williams sighed and focused on her friend, pushing her glasses up to rest on her head.
"Stop doing that."
      The preteen looked up abruptly and slowly let go of her lip.
     "Now, what's got you questioning everything all of a sudden?"
     Delilah looked down and started to wring her hands; a telltale sign she was nervous.
     Coming to the librarian was like a free therapy session. While she wasn't that much older than the middle school student, she still has been through a lot and gave great advice.
     But as much as she had come to love Ms.Williams—Jamaya as she had been forced to call her now—there were still times she was hesitant to open up.
     Delilah never knew what always made her so reluctant. It could be nerves or fear of being judged or betrayed. She never thought of benefits; it was always consequences.
     "You know that girl, Smackle, that's been wandering around here for the past few days?"
     The woman nods and reaches out her hand to grab one of Delilah's; preventing her from fidgeting.
      "I talked to her after that debate competition. I don't know why I did. And I feel like...I don't know what I feel anymore."
     The librarian nods once more and motions for the student to give her, her other hand.
     "I have no idea what goes on in that beautiful mind of yours, but I'm just going to take a guess."
     She stands and walks over to a beanbag and Delilah follows.
     "I was like you when I was your age; I was anti-social, never wanted to talk to anyone, was always awkward and nervous, and did horrible in social situations. Now, I'm not saying this is what you think but just listen to me for a second.
     You always think someone is out to get you. And it's completely understandable considering where you come from. You're constantly overthinking and I think that you try to shut everyone out because you're scared that they're going to leave or cross you.
     But I don't want that for you. You need to be a child and I don't want you to grow up alone, regretting every decision you've ever made.
     Now, I'm not saying that you need to go out and make friends and be the most social butterfly; no. You need to leap before you can jump. And it's going to be hard believe me. Behavior doesn't just change over night."
     Delilah leaned into Jamaya's side.
     "But what if no one actually likes me and I just end up wasting my time?"
     "Stop thinking of 'what if's'. Those will ruin you. I could've been like 'what if I didn't take this job. I could be something bigger.' But I don't. I think about the positives; how I met this little girl who has become my sister but doesn't know how amazing she is yet."
     She looks down at the preteen and smiles at her while pushing a stray coil out of the girl's face.
     "When I met you, I knew you were different. The only time kids came in here was to skip class and just chat away. But you actually came in to read.
     I silently promised myself that I would protect and help you and I refuse to break that promise. So look at me when I tell you this.
     You are an amazing little girl. I know I can't take away any of your doubts or fears or insecurities but I will help you lessen them. Because you don't deserve to be second-guessing your every move, wondering whether you'll get backlash or be hurt.
     And hey, if they do end up not liking you—which I'm not saying will happen—you'd still have me and your mom and Miles regardless of the fact that he's still in Mississippi. If they don't like you, that's their loss. And my gain cause I'll be able to spend more time with you."
     The student nods and rests her head on the older woman's shoulder.
     There was a moment of silence before the librarian spoke again.
      "Just promise you'll try. I don't want you to regret anything later like I do."
-
Delilah couldn't be bothered to listen to the next round of the debate. There were too many thoughts swirling around her mind that she was listening too. She would've been too busy with that to listen to what anyone was saying if she did end up going.
She opted to stay at home with her mother to finish setting up her phone. The preteen was pretty sure she wouldn't be spending much time on it anyways; she preferred her books. And she refused to become one of those zombie-like teenagers who were obsessed with their phones and payed no attention to the outside world.
But now, she had a way to contact Miles if she every felt overwhelmed or just needed a friend that was her age.
It was about six in the evening when she let out a huff. Layla looked over at her daughter and raised an eyebrow.
"Is there a problem."
Delilah shook her head and sat up.
"No. I just wanna go somewhere."
Her mom nodded and let out a sigh before speaking again.
"There's a little bakery not far from here. Let's go check it out."
-
When the Jones' were walking through the door of Svorski's Bakery, four children were walking out; four children who happened to be Riley, Maya, Farkle, and Lucas.
While she didn't have any shame about her previous words with the golden duo, Delilah couldn't deny that the tension between the three was unwanted and very, very uncomfortable.
The squad quickly walked out and avoided any contact with the small family while the others walked to the counter.
The preteen scanned the menu before whispering what she wanted to her mom. While she was placing the order, Delilah couldn't help but notice that Smackle was sitting in a booth all alone.
'Just promise you'll try. I don't want you to regret anything later like I do.'
     Walking over to the booth, the girl wiped her sweaty hands on her pants. It was now or never.
     Isadora looked up from the spot on the table she was staring at when she heard movement in front of her. The genius ended up making eye contact with the girl she met a few days ago; Delilah.
     Isadora thought she was kind. Whenever she thought about the first conversation they shared, she always felt queasy and her face got all warm. At first she thought she was coming down with an illness and looked up her symptoms.
     After scrolling for awhile she saw the word crush. She didn't know for certain what it meant, but she knew that it was not a sickness.
     "Hi, Isadora."
     "Hello."
     'Well this couldn't get anymore awkward,' Delilah thought.
      The coily-headed child let out a sigh before speaking again.
     "I heard you won the debate tonight. Congrats."
     "Thank you. It was a satisfying defeat."
     Delilah chuckled and Smackle smiled. She liked her laugh.
     "Perhaps we could celebrate your victories one day?"
     She looked at her with such hopeful eyes, the genius didn't think it was possible for her to say no.
     Before either of them could talk again, Layla called for her child's attention. She held up the back of pastries and motioned that it was time to go.
     Delilah quickly grabbed a piece of paper, a pen, and her new phone out of her pocket. She wrote something down quickly and handed it to Isadora before following her mom out of the door.
     ***-****
           Call me:)
     Isadora was feeling queasy and warm once again.
——————-
Ahhh I'm so sorry I haven't updated this in awhile. Anyway hope you guys enjoy it be sure to vote comment and share. Byeeee❤️