001

First things first, this only somewhat follows the events of the show but not really. 

This story deals with a lot of issues regarding depression, self-harm, assault, stalkers, and multiple mental illnesses. If you are uncomfortable with any of those topics I encourage you to not read this. 

~~~

Pacing from one end of the lecture hall to the other, I changed the slide of a crime scene from the butchered victims to a layout of their bones, now cleaned by forensics. "Forensic anthropology and profiling." I clapped, getting the attention of the half-asleep trainees in front of me. "Let's talk about why it's important."

It was strange, knowing most of my students were older than me, most spending over eight years to be in this class. While I was a 24-year-old who's only reason for being here was my father's reputation. "This is a subfield in physical anthropology. Your job or your soon to be job is to use those techniques and your analysis skills to solve criminal cases." Bouncing from face to face it was clear that there was no care for what I was saying. Some even chatting to each other.

"Alright," I mumbled, heading to the back of my desk to take out a rather large box containing a skull and a few gloves. "You!" Pointing at one of the men laughing in the back I gestured for him to come down, a smile still on his face as he took the gloves from me.

"Need someone with actual credentials?" He snickered, some of the other students laughing as well. I only opened the box, placing the skull on the table. "Alright, then tell me, professor. How did this victim die? When? Age? Gender?"

He still wanted to be confident, taking a step forward and picking up the skull. "Well-"

"That's wrong."

"What?"

"You're holding the remains wrong. If you continue to do so you're not only going to contaminate a crime scene but also deform the evidence." I gave him a mocking smile, taking the remains from him. "Get another pair of gloves, you touched your greasy ass hair with those ones."

The room became silent as I continued to get the man in front of me to "teach" me. After a few minutes of stuttering and his bullshit, I asked him to sit down. Putting six images of the remains I have in my hands on the screen. "If you actually let me teach you would know this is a middle-aged man. He died three years ago from the decolouration of the skull from oxidizing. Luckily this man's bones were in perfect condition when we found them. The perfect test for trainees, well, if the trainees choose to listen." Giving my students a glair I put the skull back in its case.

"I'm guessing no one can tell me how he died either? It's fairly obvious." Raising my hand mockingly I waited for a minute. "He died of blunt force trauma to the head." Turning off the projector I only sighed, taking the gloves off and turning off the projector. "I expect open ears tomorrow. You're dismissed."

Watching them flood out of the lecture I saw three figures coming towards me, the only one I recognized was my uncle, Jack. "You certainly didn't give them mercy." He joked, eyeing the human remains I kept in my class.

"No one here respects me because I'm young." I sighed, putting a few files into the cabinets located in the office connected to the lecture hall. "It's basically a necessity to do that on the first day."

Locking up the rest of my supplies I threw my bag over my shoulder, the two unfamiliar men just staring at me as I did so. "I dont think we've met." I smiled, extending my hand to the older man in a suit. "Y/N L/N. Forensic anthropologist."

Gladly shaking it, the man introduced himself as Hannibal Lecture, a shrink, the other seeming to not be in the mood for formalities as Jack introduced him as Will Graham. Although I don't know him all that well I remembered that Jack brought him in because of his active imagination to connect the dots of a crime scene. "Why do I feel this isn't just a friendly get together." Leaning on the desk I crossed my arms, Jack only agreeing as he took out a few photos from his bag.