Chapter 2

The next day Silverpaw got up early for her first day training with Brackenclaw, who had gone on dawn patrol, so she waited for him at the bottom of the ravine.

A few moments had past when Brackenclaw finally arrived. "Hi, Silverpaw," his voice was soft. "Today, I'll show you the boundaries of ElectricClan; tomorrow I'll show you how to hunt." Then the two cats padded into a clearing. "This is the Adder Clearing," Brackenclaw meowed.

"Why is it called that?" Silverpaw asked.

"Because adders live there," Brackenclaw replied.

Brackenclaw took her up to some bushes. "Eww, what's that stench?!" Silverpaw asked.

"That's the Roaringpath," Brackenclaw answered. "But smell again, can you smell anything else?"

Silverpaw didn't understand what Brackenclaw meant but she did as she was told. When she did she smelled something else! "Yeah I smell something else," Silverpaw told him. "It reeks, but it's very faint."

"That's DuskClan. Remember that smell well young Silverpaw," Brackenclaw meowed.

Brackenclaw took her to four huge trees. "This is Ancestors Oaks. Every full moon, this is where we come for a gathering. I'll take you a little beyond Ancestors Oaks near AirClan territory so you can get a whiff of their scent," Brackenclaw meowed. They went a little past Ancestors Oaks and Silverpaw got a faint trace of AirClan.

After that they went back into the forest and as they did Brackenclaw meowed, "There is one place left to show you."

"What is it? Where is it?" Silverpaw asked excitedly.

"Sunnystones," Brackenclaw replied. "It is the boundary of ElectricClan and WaterClan."

"Okay!" Silverpaw mewed.

As they reached Sunnystones they heard the sound of flowing water... and the sound of a cat trying to swim! Brackenclaw meowed, "Smell that? It's a WaterClan cat on our territory!" When they got a little closer they could see a tiny black cat. He bobbed in and out of the water.

Silverpaw rushed to the edge of the river. "No!" Brackenclaw meowed to Silverpaw. "Don't jump into the river!" But it was too late. She had already jumped into the river, swimming vigorously to the WaterClan cat that was having trouble swimming.

As Silverpaw hauled him out of the river, the black tom mewed, "Wow, you swam good enough to be a fully trained warrior in WaterClan."

"But I'm really no more than a kit because I just became an apprentice in ElectricClan yesterday," Silverpaw meowed.

"My name's Blackpaw. I just started my training a couple days ago and this was my first day hunting alone when I slipped. I'm still not that good at swimming," mewed the black tom.

Brackenclaw just stood behind them, jaw dropped by how good Silverpaw was at swimming.

"Oh..." Silverpaw mewed. "My name's Silverpaw."

"Can you two help me get back across? I don't want to go in the water again and I still don't know this place very well," meowed Blackpaw.

"Of course!" Silverpaw replied. Then she turned to Brackenclaw.

"Brackenclaw, do you know how to get Blackpaw back over to WaterClan without getting in water?" She meowed.

"Yes," Brackenclaw replied. "Come on. I'll lead you two to the Crossing Steps. Silverpaw, I'm only taking you over there because I'm showing you the boundaries of ElectricClan."

"Thank you, Brackenclaw," Blackpaw meowed, bowing his head.

As soon as Blackpaw left, Brackenclaw and Silverpaw started heading back to the ElectricClan camp.