CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

I liked the idea of disappearing. To just go, like a candlewick flame; like a book-pressed note snatched by the gale; like the mind's wandering murmurs in a half-lucid dream. To be neither here nor there, neither this nor that. To no longer be defined.

There would be days in this sleepy little town when the crystal rain would pelt the glass and the cold would seep in from under the doors and between the cracks in the windowsill. I would be shuttled through the empty streets, all alone in the back of a black leather-seat car, in between the mechanical bustles of predetermined preoccupations and expected exchanges. The world would be laced in grey and drowned in the droning drumming of water on solid surface. Network signals were paltry, and every breath tasted like a fog. For a few hours it would be like reality was a crackling tape in decay, looping an isolated segment in time, disconnected from current events or the hungry strivings of the collective for more. I was convinced this must be what nowhere felt like. For the span of a valet drive, I'd tip my head back, let out a breath, and cease to be.

Things were different ever since that afternoon Jae had spent with you all in the music room. The enmity between Jae and the others had cooled. Sure, he was still demanding and he stayed behind when you, Dowoon, Sungjin and Wonpil would hang out at a café or the arcade, but Jae didn't seem to push all the wrong buttons on people as much anymore. There were times when Sungjin would still complain about the workload, and Dowoon still didn't give two cents about Jae, but for the most part, the friction in the air had subsided.

Music club activities had been going well. When the arrangements had been finalized more, Mystery Prez announced on the After School Music Club group page that you would have to prepare three to five songs to perform for the music festival. Sungjin and Wonpil immediately went to work, saying, "You can focus on your song, [Y/N]. You can leave the rest to us." Of course, you couldn't help but check out what melodies and lyrics they came up with, and Dowoon and Bernard helped however they could, too. On top of that, Mr. JYP was an amazing mentor. Sure, there were weird rules you had to follow sometimes, but for the most part, you trusted that he knew what he was doing with your band, the music club, and the music festival. Slowly, everything was really beginning to take shape.

Debate club preparations had likewise been running smoothly. You had started having mock debates, and you were slowly getting into the rhythm of it. All of you were improving, but Sungjin seemed to have a talent that he was in denial of. He begrudgingly went through the activities, but he was quick with his arguments when it was his turn to speak. There was even this one time when he countered a point Jae had been making. Jae had stared at him for a moment and stopped to consider his claim. He then put forward an alternative and continued to talk. Sungjin probably didn't notice it, but you could tell that Jae was silently impressed.

Weeks passed. One afternoon, right after chemistry class, you and Dowoon found Jae waiting for you outside the classroom door. "Jae?"

He comes near enough to speak with a lowered tone, "[Y/N], does your offer to come over to your place still stand?"

Dowoon eyes the two of you curiously. The urgency in Jae's voice bewilders you a little. "Well, yeah, of course."

"Do you mind if we have the debate meeting there today?"

Startled, you lean in closer and whisper, making sure you were out of earshot of the students exiting behind you, "Do you think Jasmine is going to be looking for you again?"

You hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary with Jasmine recently. It seemed as if Jae had finally gotten her off his scent. Jae nods. "So is that a yes?"