Chapter Two

Uncle Delzcen was as tall as his wife, strong, blonde, and dark-eyed. He worked at the butcher's and arrived home with some fresh meat to eat at supper every evening.

He greeted Aunt Beccah and Citali and Wyntair upon entering, then they set about their usual evening routine.

Soon they were sitting down around the table for supper, and all was pleasant and normal. Just another happy evening.

They were halfway through the meal when Uncle Delzcen said, "Chief Otto has decided to expand the army."

The others looked up from their food.

"And why might that be?" inquired Aunt Beccah.

"He fears Friil is in danger of being attacked."

"Why? By who?" Wyntair asked, frowning slightly.

Uncle Delzcen sighed, "the Akeefa."

Citali saw Wyntair frown and look down.

"I heard that ever since their current leader took over, they have been growing their army and trading for weapons and such things. A little while ago, they began attacking the smaller lands surrounding, claiming more territory for themselves. And apparently, they aren't showing signs of stopping."

Uncle Delzcen paused.

"Who are the Akeefa?" asked Citali.

"Another civilization. And they would have to go over water and an insane amount of land through the cold to get to us, so it's completely ludicrous that Chief Otto has branded them as threats. And decided to widen the range of ages for men and women required to join the army," Uncle Delzcen rushed on, "of course, the women will be in the back lines, the final defense of the towns', and nobody will have to go to war if we aren't attacked at all, but everyone has to train anyway, just in case. . ." he trailed off.

The others looked at him expectantly, but he seemed to be done speaking.

"What did the chief widen the range to?" Aunt Beccah asked finally.

Uncle Delzcen was quiet for another second, then he turned his head and looked at Wyntair, "fifteen to twenty eight."

There was a horrible silence.

"No. . .he can't. . ." Citali stood up and walked to her brother, sitting there, his body rigid, his eyes trained on his hands on his lap.

Then he seemed to relax. He looked up at Citali and smiled warmly, "I was going to have to go next year anyway when I turned eighteen."

He stood up and put his arm around Citali, who was holding back tears.

Aunt Beccah also looked quite upset. She was looking at Wyntair with a strange expression on her face, a mix of sadness, longing, and some other things Citali couldn't quite place. Then she looked down at her food and Citali couldn't see her expression anymore.

Uncle Delzcen was quite grim looking. "They should be coming around to get all the young men in a few days. A week at most."

Nobody felt much like eating anymore, but because they couldn't waste food, and because it would be a cold night, they finished their supper before heading off to bed.

Citali sat up in the darkness from their bed. She and Wyntair shared one because it was easier to make one bed for two than two beds for two and because Citali would need her brother's body heat her own smaller body up on cold nights. They didn't mind sharing.

"You can't leave us to go to war," Citali said, quietly.

"It's okay, remember, Uncle Delzcen said the Akeefa are far away. I'll just be training, not going to war."