Chapter 5

I thought this meeting was going to be semi-pleasant, but that was traumatising. I never want to do that again. But thankfully, she’s leaving now. And the hour she spent here was pretty much a waste of time. I got nothing from her, or this visit in general. Absolutely nothing. She even insulted me less than usual. But that’s probably because my dad’s here, and she was insulting him a lot. And I mean A LOT. Either way, though, what the heck? Why come to the household of the family you hate for absolutely NO REASON at all? I don’t get it. And do you know why I don’t get it? Because it makes no goddamn sense why she was here in the first place. If she wanted to help me then she could have told me some useful information, or give me some hints, or a note, or something. But I got nothing from her. Like, what the heck? At least give me something for both of our benefits. Wouldn’t it be better that way? I don’t know at this point. All I want to do is survive, and I haven’t even started it yet. I looked at the old hag. Actually, yes I have. I started this battle the moment people started comparing me to my father. This journey has been a lifelong one, and it sure as hell ain’t gonna end now, I can assure you of that. I won’t let it. My fight ain’t over until I’ve won, and I sure as hell ain’t won yet.

I watched as the elder made her way to the door, and I tilted my head to the side when she stopped in the doorway and looked at me. “Alexander Goodman.”

“Yes, elder?” I stared back at her

“I gave a backpack to your mother for you, and there’s a note in your jacket pocket to help you. I suggest that you leave sometime today.” She told me “And remember, Alexander, that you are not alone in your fight. Remember what’s inside.”

I nodded “Thank you, elder.”

She looked at Tiffany, disappointment briefly crossing her face. The wrong person went through, in her opinion. She would rather have had Tiffany go through. But for some reason, she still let me through, so tough break. Gran sighed. “Tiffany Taylor.”

“Yes, elder?” She asked

“Keep an eye on him. Make sure he doesn’t get into trouble while he’s still here.” She said, a smile briefly crossing her lips. I swear, she finds far too much enjoyment in tormenting me. It ain’t right.

Tiffany smirked, “Yes, elder.”

I glared at them both, and the elder left with a triumphant smirk on her face. When I thought we were going somewhere, she goes and does that. I spoke through gritted teeth “I hated every second of that.”

“Really? You seemed to be having a great time.” Tiffany teased, and I pushed her in annoyance. She burst out laughing, and I tried to keep a straight face, but I still ended up cracking a grin.

“Mum? Can I have the bag gran brought for me?” I asked

“Of course you can. But are you leaving straight away?” She shot me a concerned look; as if she thought it was a bad idea, and that I should wait until tomorrow or something. But I don’t wanna wait until tomorrow. That’s so long away.

“Yeah - I think it’s for the best,” I said

“Someone’s eager, aren’t they?” She smiled slightly

I nodded “All for you, mum.”

“What about me?” Dad asked

“What about you?” I replied, sceptical to the fact that he even said that. “YOU are the reason I HAVE to do this; because of your screw up.”

“Alexander,” Tiffany said, stopping me from going any further

I looked at her “Yeah? What’s up?”

“Don’t screw this up.” She replied, slapping me and then hugging me. What the heck? I hugged her back, and then soon realised that she was crying.

“Tiff, don’t worry. It’ll be fine.” I assured her, and she let go of me, staring at me. I gave her a reassuring smile, wiping away her remaining tears. “There’s no need to cry.”

“Don’t you dare let us down.” She said, and I nodded

“I won’t, I promise.”