𝟏

chapter one

"The Journey Starts"

TATOOINE

THE MANDALORIAN bounty hunter, known as Mando to many throughout the galaxy, was standing in Hanger 3-5 in Mos Eisley, watching The Child as he curiously observed the cooking krayt dragon meat which was situated securely on a pike. A droid was slowly spinning the enormous selection of meat over a fire.

Peli Motto appeared from the entryway of a door, walking into the hangar. "Hey, don't overcook it Treadwell!" She called. "I like it medium rare! I'm not some Rodian for crying out loud."

She let out a frustrated sigh, making her way to Mando's side. Sucking in a deep breath, she leaned over. "All right, here's the deal. A Mandalorian covert is close. It's in this sector, one system trailing."

Mando looked to her. "Are they the ones that left Nevarro?"

Peli shrugged. "Don't know. All I know is that the contact will lead you to them."

"How much will it cost me?" Mando questioned.

Peli took in another deep breath. "Well that's the great news. It's free. Aside from a finder's fee, of course."

"What's the not-great news?" Mando asked.

Peli smiled. "Nothing. It's all great."

Mando was silent for a moment. "Okay."

"However, there is one skank in the scud pie." Peli said, a tense look on her face.

Mando turned back to Peli. "Which is?"

Peli looked back at the cooking meat. "The contact and their client want passage to the system."

"Do you vouch for them?"

Peli nodded. "On my life."

Mando was silent for a few seconds before he nodded. "Fine."

"And..." Mando turned back to her, becoming agitated. "No hyperdrive."

Mando seemed taken-aback at her conditions. "You want me to travel sub-light? Deal's off."

"It's one sector over." Peli persisted.

"Moving fast is the only thing keeping me safe."

"These are mitigating circumstances." Peli added through gritted teeth.