Chapter 17 ~ Flamel, Norbert, and Detention

Even though I told him not to, Harry always continued to visit the Mirror of Erised. Every night, he'd get his cloak, check on my map without permission (which I did not like), and would go to the room next to the library. I couldn't help but tell Dumbledore, who just smiled and told me he knew it.

After a couple nights, when I was doing some Charms homework (by practicing Engorgio on my quill), Harry came early. He sat next to me, and sighed.

"You told him didn't you? Dumbledore I mean."

I sighed too. "He already knew anyway. Harry, you spend way too much by that mirror. You're not achieving anything. And you still have homework left, loads of them. Look, I finished. Good night!" Before Harry could say anything else, I left for the dorms.

~

The next day, me and Hermione went to the library (again) to look for Nicholas Flamel (again). Suddenly, Hermione jumped, making me jump too. She ran across the library and got a small book (compared to the others), which I remembered we had checked out a couple weeks ago.

Hermione flipped a couple pages. "Yes! It was in here the whole time!" She went to the table where Harry and Ron were half-asleep, and I followed her, still confused.

"I had you looking at the wrong section! How could I be so stupid?" Hermione's voice woke up the two.

"But that's the book we got weeks ago Hermione," I said.

She flipped to a page and pointed at it. "Look."

On the page it said "Nicholas Flamel." Of course!

"Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Sorcerer's Stone," I read.

"The Stone of the what?" Ron asked.

"Honestly, don't you two read?" Hermione shot a death glare at Ron.

I continued to read. "The Sorcerer's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It will transform any metal into pure gold, and produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal."

"Immortal?"

"It means you cannot die."

"I know what it means-"

"SHH!" Madam Pince whisper-yelled.

I continued. "The only Stone currently in existence belongs to Nicholas Flamel, noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday."

"Woah.." Harry whispered.

Hermione leaned forward. "That's what Fluffy's guarding. That's what's under the trapdoor."

"The Sorcerer's Stone," I finished. "We need to see Hagrid, tonight."

"Why night?" Ron whined. "Why not right now? It's so creepy at night."

Me and Hermione both glared at Ron.

"Fine, fine."

~

When it was 9pm, I checked the map one more time for Filch and Mrs. Norris (and Peeves), we got under the cloak, and went outside. The castle was pretty empty, and luckily the doors were open. We quickly went to Hagrid's Hut, and knocked on the door. I heard Hagrid grunt as he opened the door.

"Oh," he said when he saw us, "well sorry but I'm a bit preoccupied today," he tried to close the door, but I held the door.

"We know about the Sorcerer's Stone!"

"Oh. Well c'mon in then."

The four of us came inside and sat on the big chairs.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it," Harry said.