THE THOUGHTS

Morning came too fast like it always does. I could hear the birds first, singing to each other in high pitched tones. If I weren't so tired still, I would say the sounds were beautiful. There was an absence of sun, telling me the curtains were closed, and yet, an abundance of warmth, telling me that Dom was still next to me. His breath was slow and repetitive. My back was still pressed to his front so I was unable to see him, but I could tell that he was relaxed and asleep, his muscles limp and his breathing steady. I debated getting up and starting my day even though I had no idea what time of day it was. My glasses were on the nightstand and the clock was out of my natural range of eyesight. I didn't even remember taking them off before falling asleep. As I decided to just close my eyes once more and let sleep take me, the events of the day prior push their way into the front of my brain, along with one phrase.

I should apologize.

I had no right to judge Dom like that. He was well within his right to see other people before I came along. Hell, he didn't even know I existed until recently. What was he supposed to do? Wait for the chance we meet? What if we never did? That question made my stomach drop. I cant imagine not meeting Dom and just thinking of the possibility did not make me feel well. Regardless, Dom did nothing wrong. Except kissing Sarah, which we already talked about and I guess I understand. They were a thing, and he had no idea he would find me so why would he break it off?

I mean, he still could've called her and told her. I'm sure she had a phone and there are other ways of communication. He didn't have to hide the fact that she existed either.. And he tried to fix it on his own for what, 5 minutes? He just decided to get back to his daily duties. If it weren't for Hunter, we never would have talked about it.

I'm doing it again. Going back and forth on how to feel. I do not want this to be my new normal. Part of me was telling me to let it go while another wanted to drag it out and all of me didn't know that the right solution was. Maybe if I slept some more, my brain would be able to reboot. I snuggle into Dom's front, trying to get comfortable and he grunted, almost animal like, while tightening his grip on my waist. I froze for a moment. What did I do? Why was he mad? I realized that I probably woke him up and he didn't like that. I'll remember not to do it again. My eyes fluttered shut and into a sleep that I didn't know I needed.

~

Cold. That's what I awoke to. Cold and empty. I was alone in the bed this time and decided that it was probably best if I got up too. I grabbed my glasses, sitting up and cleaning them. Putting them on, I was able to check the time on the little clock that was on the table next to the bed.

10:52 am

Something next to the clock caught my attention and I couldn't stop the large grin that made its way onto my face. A single red rose was staring back at me, begging me to touch it and smell its bright petals. As I did, I noticed a note.

Good morning little one. I wish I could stay in bed with you all day, but the King needed a detail to go into the city this morning. I will be back around midday. Miss you already. Love, Dom

He scribbled a heart onto the little piece of paper which, upon seeing, made mine practically jump out of my chest. I realized in this moment that none of it mattered. Not the fight, not the questions, not Sarah. Dom was mine forever and I was his, which was scary in itself but, I chose not to think about it much. I would have my entire life to think about it. It was a little overwhelming to think about how, just a week ago, I was living with my parents and brother in our small and dirty house, afraid of the world. I hadn't experienced true calmness and safety, all of which I had experienced in the past week. Being here made me feel protected and having Dom around only strengthened that. He made me feel like no other and I never wanted it to end. Despite our recent fight, he had never made me feel less than. Dom made me feel happy and important unlike how I felt in the colonies. I couldn't blame my family for that though. They weren't happy either. My brain halted at the thought of love so soon but I wasn't talking about Dom. I was talking about me. This week had shown me how strong, caring, and resilient I was, and gave me a glimpse of what I was capable of. Those feelings I never would have felt if I didn't meet Dom and leave home. I had explored, stepped out of my comfort zone and I didn't fall. I have felt so many emotions and I have come out on top of all of them. I am forever grateful for him showing me who I was and who I really could be.

Taking off my glasses, I jump out of bed and head to the bathroom. Closing the door behind me, I looked in the mirror at myself. Though I was a little blurry, I was me. And that was enough.