CHAPTER SEVEN

After their Arithmancy lesson, Kiera and Hermione joined the boys in the library where they were still working on Snape's homework about the advantages and disadvantages of non-verbal magic. They were both in rather bad moods, but their spirits lifted significantly as soon as Kiera and Hermione offered to help.

Ron had just written the last sentence of his paper and dropped his quill dramatically when the bell rang, announcing that it was time for their double Potions lesson. When they arrived in the corridor, they saw that there were only a dozen people progressing to N.E.W.T. level. Crabbe and Goyle had evidently failed to achieve the required O.W.L. grade, but four Slytherins apart from Kiera had made it through, including Malfoy which made her stomach lurch.

Four Ravenclaws were there (Anthony waved to Kiera, and she returned the gesture with a smile), and one Hufflepuff, Ernie Macmillan, who was quick to approach them.

"Harry," Ernie said importantly, "didn't get a chance to speak in Defence Against The Dark Arts this morning. Good lesson, I thought, but Shield Charms are old hat, of course, for us old DA lags ... And how are you all?"

Before they could say more than "fine," the dungeon door opened and Slughorn's stepped out of the door to invite them all in (in a much warmer manner than Snape's usual "inside"), and as they filed into the room, he greeted Harry and Blaise Zabini with particular enthusiasm.

To everyone's surprise, the dungeon was already full of vapours and odd smells, multiple large cauldrons waiting for them at the teacher's desk.

The four Slytherins took a table together, as did the four Ravenclaws. This left Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Kiera to squeeze around a table with Ernie. They chose the one nearest a gold-coloured cauldron that was emitting one of the most seductive scents Kiera had ever inhaled: somehow it reminded her simultaneously of petrichor, sandalwood, and some sort of noxious sweet smell that she thought was gasoline, or perhaps polish of some kind. The scent was making her feel slightly groggy, and for some reason, she couldn't stop smiling.

"Now then, now then, now then," said Slughorn. "Scales out, everyone, and potion kits, and don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making."

"Sir?" said Harry, raising his hand.

"Harry, m'boy?"

"I haven't got a book or scales or anything – nor has Ron – we didn't realise we'd be able to do the N.E.W.T., you see –"

"Ah, yes, Professor McGonagall did mention – not to worry, my dear boy, not to worry at all. You can use ingredients from the store cupboard today, and I'm sure we can lend you some scales, and we've got a small stock of old books here, they'll do until you can write to Flourish and Blotts..."

Slughorn strode over to a corner cupboard and, after a moment's foraging, emerged with two very battered-looking copies of Advanced Potion-Making by Libatius Borage, which he gave to Harry and Ron along with two sets of tarnished scales.

"Now then," said Slughorn again, returning to the front of the class, "I've prepared a few potions for you to have a look at, just out of interest, you know. These are the kind of thing you ought to be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s. You ought to have heard of 'em, even if you haven't made 'em yet. Anyone tell me what this one is?" He indicated the cauldron nearest the Slytherin table.

Hermione and Kiera both raised their hands, causing Malfoy to roll his eyes, but Professor Slughorn to smile widely. He pointed at Hermione and said, "Yes?"

"It's Veritaserum," said Hermione. "A colourless, odourless potion that forces the drinker to tell the truth."

"Very good, very good!" said Slughorn happily. "Now, this one here is pretty well known," he continued, pointing at the cauldron nearest the Ravenclaw table. "Featured in a few Ministry leaflets lately too ... Who can –?"