CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

It was the day of the Quidditch final: Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw. If Gryffindor beat Ravenclaw by a margin of three hundred points then they would win the cup; if they won by less than three hundred points, they would come second place, after Ravenclaw; if they lost by a hundred points they would be behind Hufflepuff, in third place; and if they lost by more than one hundred they would take fourth place for the first time in two centuries.

Kiera had offered to not go watch the game ("I need to finish my Arithmancy homework anyway") because Harry had been quiet for two days following up to the match since he couldn't play, but he had insisted she go with Hermione to support Gryffindor. Therefore, as Harry dragged his feat and frown to Snape's office for his detention, Kiera exited the castle with Hermione and headed across the grounds to the Quidditch pitch.

As they weaved their way through the stands which were already relatively full, Kiera noticed that she seemed to be getting more looks than usual. Once the two of them sat down beside Neville, she shifted in her seat from the discomfort, feeling a tingling at the back of her neck.

Kiera nudged Hermione, and asked quietly, "Why is everyone staring at me?"

Hermione gave a nonchalant shrug. "People are saying that Harry and Malfoy were fighting over you, and that when you chose Malfoy, Harry got really angry and tried to murder him, so that he could have you to himself," she said, as if this was a completely sensible theory for someone to create.

"What?" she said, staring at her with her blue eyes wide open.

"I heard one where you apparently told them to fight, and the one left standing is the one you'd be with," Neville said from Kiera's other side.

"Oh," said Hermione, remembering something, "and some Hufflepuff seventh year said she thought that you had walked in on Harry and Malfoy kissing, and got jealous, and cursed both of them."

Kiera barely had time to gape at her until Neville was already continuing, "And I heard a group of Ravenclaw fourth years say that you're a siren and tried to eat Malfoy, but then Harry walked in and you pretended that you had just found him like that."

"Are you –?"

Hermione interrupted her. "Yeah, and Romilda Vane said it was a three-way gone wrong," she said, trying to hide her laughter.

"What the fucking ... fuck? That's all completely ridiculous," said Kiera weakly, not able to decide whether she should be amused or annoyed.

Hermione had succumbed to her laughter and with a glance at Kiera's expression, doubled over with tears in her eyes. On her other side, Neville attempted to give her a sympathetic smile but he too started laughing.

"Stop laughing, this is not funny," Kiera said, though she had started to grin too.

Hermione and Neville's responses were cut short because the crowd instantly roared with applause as the two teams waked onto the pitch.

The game was one of the most exciting games Kiera could remember. With Katie back, the Gryffindor team seemed to be full of energy even if they were missing their captain. The Quaffle was constantly flying through hoops on both ends of the pitch, but it was blocked just as often, the Bludgers seemed more viscous than usual, keeping the Beaters busy, and Ginny and Cho were zooming around the pitch both in search of the Golden Snitch.

As unbelievable as it was in the absence of Harry, Gryffindor won. They beat Ravenclaw four hundred and fifty points to one hundred forty, claiming first place in the inter-house Quidditch Cup.

"You're welcome to come with us, you know," Hermione repeated for the fifth time as they approached the castle doors. "I doubt anybody would mind."