Diagon Alley (1)

"See kids, we can't be using magic out in the open, so you two will have to come on the muggle train with me to get your supplies."

"What's a muggle?" Madison inquired

"Non-Magic Folk." Hagrid responded
-

The three finally reached the station. There was a train to London in 5 minutes time. Hagrid, who didn't understand "Muggle money", as he called it, gave the bills to Harry so he could by their tickets.

People in the train stared intensely at the large man that took up two seats knitting.

"Still got yer letter, kids?" he asked as he counted stitches.

Harry took the parchment envelopes out of his pockets, holding both his and Madison's.

"Good," said Hagrid. "There's a list there of everything yeh need."

Madison watched over Harry's shoulder in the seat next to him as he unfolded a second piece of paper he hadn't noticed when initially opening his letter. It read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of
WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
________________________________
UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils clothes should carry name tags
________________________________

The letter continued, naming all the course books required, necessary equipment and a reminder that first years are NOT allowed their own broomsticks.

"Can we buy all this in London?" Madison wondered, with a hint of skepticism in her tone.
"If yeh know where to go," said Hagrid.

Harry, nor Madison had ever been to London before. Although Hagrid seemed to know where he was going, he obviously wasn't used to getting there in an ordinary way.

When the train finally reached their destination, they got off and started to wander. They passed book shops, music stores, cinemas and restaurants alike, but nowhere seemed as if they would sell you a magic wand. It was just an ordinary street full of ordinary people. If Madison hadn't known her father had no sense of humor, she would think that this was all some sick joke.

No matter how unbelievable Hagrid's words were, she couldn't help but trust him, and she knew Harry felt the same way.

"This is it!" said Hagrid, coming to a halt, "the Leaky Cauldron. It's a famous place."

The pub Hagrid pointed to looked no where near magical. It was small, and rather dirty. Madison didn't expect to see people vending magic wands in there.

For a famous place, it was awfully dark and shabby.

They walked in to see old women drinking, people chattering, and a little man speaking to the bartender.

"The usual, Hagrid?" A voice rang out.

"Can't, Tom, I'm on Hogwarts business." Hagrid replied, as if he'd been to this 'Leaky Cauldron' a thousand times.

Madison and Harry stole a glance at each other when  Hagrid said "Hogwarts business".

"Good Lord," we heard Tom say, Madison and Harry's heads now facing him instead of at one another. "is this— can this be — ?" He continued, staring at the children in such awe.

"Harry Potter, Madison Silver, what an honor."

People scurried from about the bar at the sound of their names, rushing to shake their hands.

Harry and Madison smiled and nodded at them until they heard Hagrid introduce them to a certain 'Professor Quirrell'.

The professor stuttered while introducing himself, the children presumed him a shy man.

"All right, we better be off then kids" Hagrid but his hands behind each of their backs and push them forward and out the back door.

Hagrid fiddled with the brick wall until suddenly it shifted.

"Woah" Harry and Madison said in unison.

"Welcome," said Hagrid, "to Diagon Alley."

When they stepped through the bricks, the kids looked in amazement as the archway shrank back into a solid wall.

It was real. Madison and Harry knew this for sure now.

Magic was real.