when he kept his promise

As they hanged his brother, the one that had made you drink Askeladd's spit, you and Askeladd met up in secret. "You did it," you said proudly.

"I did it," he repeated, no smile on his face. There was a breath of relief, though.

"Thank you," he looked up at you, not knowing what you were thanking him for. "You're amazing. You kept the promise."

"It took me 2 years," he countered, trying to down play his win.

"It would take a normal person ten," you said as you reached out for his hand. "Thank you. I'm sorry you had to go through the trouble."

"It wasn't just for you," Askeladd answered, to raise off some of the guilt from you. "It was for my mom. And myself. It feels.. good."

"That's good," you nodded, squeezing his hand. He squeezed yours back. "How long will you keep up the act?"

"Well, I'm earning Olaf's property now. I'm going to keep up the act for however long it takes," he saw your face fall, and brought your hand up to his chest. "But.. I'm going to take you and mom home. To your home."

"To Wales?" you asked breathlessly.

"Yes, to Wales. In a year. Can you wait that long?" He asked hopefully.

"I'll wait however long it takes," you answered easily.