Epilogue: Day Thirty

Zoe craned her neck to see what the monitor was showing, but all she could make out was some kind of... "Alien."

"What did you just say?" Hazel gasped and pressed a hand to her chest.

With a snicker, Zoe glanced over at Dr. Matthews and looked for some empathy. "I can't be the only one who thinks that. Granted, April is the most adorable alien I've ever seen," She sent a wink over at Hazel who just scoffed. "But an alien nonetheless."

"I have to admit...she does look a bit odd." Dr. Matthews chimed in, giving her best impression of a confused spectator as she glanced over the screen. "At least she has all the parts that should be developed by now. Perhaps we used the wrong donor and there's some kind of gene splicing I hadn't realized."

"You're both so funny." Hazel sobbed, prompting Zoe to look back at her once she was finished laughing at Dr. Matthews. Hazel was pouting like an eleven year old who just lost their first video game and her bottom lip even...It's totally quivering! "So, my April is going to be a martian and the both of you just find it so darn hilarious." Tears broke over her cheeks and Zoe barely managed to not roll her eyes.

"Who did you say the baby was again?" She jested.

Seeing Hazel actually sad wasn't something she liked, but whenever she got moody it was more of a treat than anything else. Most of the time it was just Hazel complaining about being fatter than a pot belly pig or saying that she just wanted to never stop wearing her coveralls. It only made her pregnant mind all the more endearing and Zoe couldn't help teasing her for it.

"I'm pleading the fifth." Hazel replied and zoned out gazing toward the monitor.

Zoe shared a knowing look with Dr. Matthews, then turned her attention back to the screen as well. Before long, she found her gaze wandering back to Hazel's face. Her tears were now dry and her cheeks a deep crimson color. It stirred Zoe's entire being and she couldn't wait to get back to her place, spending the rest of the day tangled up in Hazel.

Hazel scowled and tilted her head from side to side and Zoe knew what that meant.

"What's on your mind, beautiful?"

"Dear lord..." Hazel trailed off, then sent both the doctor and Zoe a jocular wiggle of her head. She smiled and let out a little giggle. "She really does look like a little alien, doesn't she?"

Zoe glanced over at the doctor. "Now she thinks it's funny." 

They both shook their heads and it only made Hazel go into a fit of laughter. Zoe couldn't blame her and she joined right in. Everything was just so easy. It was fresh and without tarnish. Zoe only thought of new possibilities whenever she was with Hazel and when she wasn't, she thought of what she could do to make her happy once they reunited. Hazel was just...Well, she was Hazel. And this life they were just beginning to build, it was everything. Something every human craved and it was right there in plain sight as Zoe's everyday life.

Zoe leaned in and kissed Hazel's cheek, feeling heat blossom under her lips. Fuck...Life is good.