Day Nine

Hazel attached her best set of clamps to the tractor blade of Chris' newest addition to her arsenal of farming equipment and her workbench, then made sure it was fully secure. When Chris bought the new bush hog, she hadn't planned on needing to sharpen it any time soon, but one look at the blades and Hazel knew she would need it.

That was two weeks ago, however, before the twins were born and Hazel was so overwrought with strife. She'd woken up this morning wanting nothing more than to work with her crew to clear out some of the appliances and farm equipment that needed work done to them, so in an announcement to them all she let them know today would be devoted to doing just that.

Every one of her employees was working on their tasks, some together, while others resumed their solo projects. One-by-one, they finished their different jobs and filled out all the necessary paperwork so that tomorrow they could drop off all their repaired products to the clients. There was still work to be done, and in Hazel's experience there always would be something to be done, but it was a great start. She felt a new wave of relief washing over her and her long-tense shoulder muscles were beginning to finally relax.

Hazel's doctor's appointment the day before had gone extremely well too and she was beyond satisfied with how things were turning out. Marcus' surgery had gone off without a single hitch, Hayley, Chris and the twins were settled into their new lives and whenever she was happiest, a tiny flutter came from within her belly as another person came to mind.

With everything going on in her life, she still couldn't force Zoe from her mind. The charming and disarming smile she wore when Hazel least expected it, the scent of her skin that reminded her of her favorite place in her store and the way she looked in her uniform. There was just something about the woman that--

What's wrong with you? Focus! She rubbed the back of her neck and sighed. Even with it all, she couldn't shake this undying feeling that something threatened to storm on her perfectly sunny day.

"Umm...Ms. Kilgore?" Elijah, one of Hazel's newer employees called from just beyond her work station. His eyes were wide with terror and she immediately put down her wire brush she was just about to use to remove any debris from the blade. She still had other work beside sharpening the blades to put toward a tractor and the last thing she needed was whatever bad news he most definitely held. Please, don't be about to tell me you're hurt, kid. Hazel mentally pleaded as she reached his side. "Ain't that..."

Hazel followed the direction in which he pointed and spotted a familiar car pulling up to the main warehouse. Sure enough, Ashley parked her sedan, then stepped out of it and eyed the construction workers who were painting Hazel's townhome, putting on the finishing touches.

Hazel planned on calling Ashley at some point, but after having to avoid her that day at the hospital thanks to the nurses kind-hearted, albeit fruitless efforts, she hadn't brought herself to do a single thing. She knew she would have to hear more of Ashley's excuses and didn't have the stomach for it, literally. She'd vomited just thinking of the stress the conversation could cause. However, she had to eventually call Ashley and make sure she would be out of the apartment when she went over and pick up her things.

It wasn't like Hazel really had much to pick up, she'd never been one for physical possessions and didn't want to clutter her new home once it was done. A part of her wished she could just buy all new things and it wasn't like she couldn't afford it with business booming and all the money she'd managed to save. Yet, she couldn't replace her mother's bracelet that she'd forgotten the Tuesday before last. She couldn't replace the blanket Hayley made her when she first went to college and she most certainly could not replace the family ring Chris had given her when she took on their surname.