bokuto

*in which your boyfriend, bokuto, gets in his emo mode*

Y/N's POV

you watched your boyfriend of one year practicing with his teammates. he had such a focused look on his face trying his best to become stronger for the team. he was the captain and hated letting his teammates down. his frustration was clearly shown and you knew he was going to get into his emo mode very quickly. he sat criss cross on the hardwood floor of the gym and you glanced at akaashi to help cheer him up and to give him words of encouragement.

"bokuto, come on! you got this! you're our captain and ace! we need you!" akaashi began to say and the rest of the team members all said encouraging words. this time it was different—none of what was being said amped bokuto up. he had fallen in complete emo mode. usually he would hop up from the ground showing off a proud smile with his hands on his hips, posing like a superhero.

but this time it was different.

akaashi shrugged his shoulders giving you a helpless shrug. he wasn't even sure what was wrong with his dearest friend and it worried the both of you. the only chance bokuto had of getting out of his emo mode would be you. you knew he confided in you to tell you everything, to be his shoulder to cry on, to tell you his deepest and darkest secrets and he wasn't ashamed of what he had to say to you.

you walked towards the middle of the court to your pouty boyfriend who stayed in the same position. his hair—which was normally spiked up—was now in a down position which was normal when he got into his moods. you squatted to his level looking at his golden colored eyes which seemed dull.

"kuto...what's wrong?" he always loved that nickname and it made him all giddy in the inside and outside, yet he wasn't showing his giddy side. he seemed too distracted by his negative thoughts as he stared at the floor instead of looking at you.

you sighed and stood back up, "sorry guys, practice is over." the team nodded understandingly knowing they could practice in their own time. bokuto slowly stood up as the rest of the teammates headed to the locker room. you noticed the way bokuto had his head down squeezing his eyes shut. you began to get worried hoping he wasn't trying to bottle everything in. you never liked it when he did that and vice versa. so you guys made a promise to tell each other what was going on whenever someone asked.

maybe he's just not ready to talk yet...

you thought to yourself as you stood by the doors waiting for bokuto to pack his stuff up.

"let me know what's going on with him?" akaashi politely asked with a worried look on his face. his facial expressions have been less and less shocking to you ever since you got to know him. at first he always had a stoic and harsh look, but now he's been showing more emotion especially when it comes to his friends.

you nodded your head with a sad smile, "of course. see ya tomorrow akaashi."

"see ya, y/n."

the rest of the team said goodnight to you as well and once again bokuto was the last one to exit the gym. you guys always walked home together since you both lived together in a nice, small apartment that was big enough for the both of you.

most of the walk was silent as you glanced a few times at his side profile wanting to know what was going on in that cute owl brain of his, or at least what he was going through.

you stared straight ahead at the path in front of you grabbing onto bokuto's hand letting him know that you're there right beside him. as soon as you guys arrived to your shared apartment he bolted upstairs to the room. you sighed taking your shoes off and setting them next to his as you slowly walked up the steps and into the huge room you guys shared. you noticed him laying stomach first with his head in the pillow. you sat beside him rubbing his back up and down in a comforting motion.

"are you hungry bo?" all he did was nod even though you'd much rather hear his voice, but at least he wasn't ignoring you like he sometimes does.

you went downstairs heating up some noodles splitting the noodles into two bowls and walking back upstairs.

"sit up and eat." he sat up the right way before you handed him his bowl. you got in bed right next to him turning on the tv to a show both of you liked.

the both of you sat in silence except for the noise of the tv and the clink of the utensils hitting the bowls.

"y/n, am i a disappointment?" bokuto mumbled out as he stared at his noodles. you looked at bokuto then at the tv to mute it before beginning a deep talk.

"bo, how could you ask that? of course not." his hair fell down along with a frown. his lip started to quiver as his golden eyes began to tear up.

"bo.." you grabbed his bowl and sat it aside on the nightstand next to yours so you wouldn't have to worry about it spilling on the bed. you pulled him into you as he cried onto your chest. each sob he let out broke your heart more and more. you despised seeing him this way and it hurt you to see him this way. you ran your fingers through his soft hair and kissed the top of his head until he was calm enough to tell you why he was feeling this way.

"it's just..i-i-i can't f-focus i-i wanna b-be there for them, but it's hard. i'm trying to be the best i c-can be, but i feel like i'm f-failing them. like i'm a disappointment." his glossy eyes stared into yours and you couldn't help but to feel bad for your poor stressed out boyfriend.

"baby, they're your teammates for a reason. they got your back as much as you have theirs. they're not expecting you to be this pro volleyball player in a day. it's called practice for a reason. that's what makes you better. you're already amazing as it is."you touched his cheek with your hand as he leaned into your touch.

"you think so?" he rubbed his teary eyes as you wiped the remaining tears off of his cheeks with both thumbs.

"yes, i know so." you peppered his face with kisses knowing that was his favorite thing from you anytime he was upset. his pout was now replaced with a bright smile and his hair was now in the correct spiky form. he yawned slightly using your lap as his pillow which was his favorite way of cuddling anytime he felt sad. or he'd lay his head on your chest like a baby would.

"i love you, y/n." he smiled looking up at you. you looked down with a smile shown, "i love you too."

he continued to watch tv—once you had unmuted it—clearly satisfied that he was able to get everything off his chest.

"and kuto?" his cheeks turned a slight pink at the nickname, "yes?"

"don't ever refer to yourself as a disappointment. you are not even close to being a disappointment."

he pouted again, "kiss?" you chuckled slightly as you leaned down pressing your lips to his.

"i'm sorry." he had said once you pulled away.

"for what?" you asked confused.

"for the way i was acting. i know you were trying to help, but i didn't want to lose my cool in front of the teammates." he felt really bad for the way he acted. yeah it kind of hurt to see him like that and not being able to get through to him, but you were glad that he eventually told you.

"it's okay, kuto. i'm just glad that you told me." he sat up as the warmth of his head was gone. he grabbed the throw blanket and laid back on you this time cuddling his head into your chest like a big baby as you wrapped his arms around him wanting to protect him from any negativity that came his way.