Chapter 3

Naina was in her room, she was in her pyjamas now and was waiting for her sushi order as she played a game on her phone. Just then she got a call from Dhruv....her chachu but since Dhruv was only 14 when she was born so she calls him bro or bhaiya sometimes.

Dhruv: hey kiddo.

Naina: hey bro.

Dhruv: kya hua? Why so glum?

Naina: kuch nahi.

Dhruv: did you have an argument with your parents?

Naina: nope.

Dhruv: any school problems?

Naina shook her head.

Dhruv: so what happened?

Naina sighed as she spoke: I got accepted in an Indian university, Gauri and Om says no because of how unsafe India is.

Dhruv: oh....

Naina: but I want to go. I really do. I have never been to India. Some of my friends are Indian and they have been to India. People think it's weird that I have never went to India despite having an Indian background and I want to go to India because I want to see my culture and I want inspiration for my book and the university is a great university. Way better than Harvard or Yale or Princeton. Also my parents put me in martial arts classes since I was 7. I always carry pepper spray...well most of the time, I carry pepper spray with me. I know that my elbow is my strongest point for defence. I know how to defend myself yaar.

Dhruv: I know you want to go to India...your mother still gets scared thinking of India because of her boarding experience. We also have no one there Naina. Our extended families hate us.

Naina: when you got the job opportunity to move to India, you should have taken it.

Dhruv: I'm sorry if it was my dream to live in New York City!

Naina: I blame you for part of my misery.

Dhruv: so your Anya didi doesn't get the blame? She was also the one who said she didn't want to move to India

Naina rolled her eyes. Oh for those who didn't know, Anya (Gauri's sister) married Dhruv who is Om's brother and they had two little girls...Anisha who was 5 and Dhara who was 4.

Naina: tell Anya didi that I blame her for my misery too.

Dhruv: well do kiddo.

Naina: kiddo? Yaar I'm not a kid anymore.

Dhruv: you are still that cute chatty child who hated me brushing her hair.

Naina: you kept ruining it!

Dhruv: you should have just got a haircut.

Naina: kyu? It's my hair, it took me ages to grow it.

Dhruv rolled his eyes. Up to date, he would never understand why his eldest niece always got hyped up about her hair. Since she was a kid, Naina always made sure that her hair was always in a perfect condition. Anyway not important. They were on about something else.

Dhruv: so if you are not going India, where are you going then?

Naina: Yale. The area is nice.

Dhruv: yeah it is from what I heard.

Naina: still would be nice going to India.

Dhruv: I know Naina but one day, I promise, you will be on a first class plane to India.

Naina: hopefully.

Just then she heard the doorbell then her mother yelling: Naina, your sushi is here.