Chapter Two: If it Hadn't Been...

For seventeen years, I worked hard to be recognized by my father. I thought that for my whole life, I would live not ever being loved by my father. If it hadn't been for that girl....

    "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Hestia. I am the daughter of Baron Louvelli, Christina.

Christina did a curtsy and brightly smiled at Hestia. She had wavy platinum blonde hair and bright, sky blue eyes.

    "As the only two candidates to be the Crown Princess. Let's be friends!"

Christina walked towards Hestia and grabbed Hestia's hand as she looked at Hestia expectantly. Hestia uncomfortably pushed Christina's hands away and step a few steps away from Christina.

    "Candidates? What are you talking about?" Hestia responded confused and bothered.

    "The Emperor has arrived!!" Called out the guards.

Above the stairs that reached to the second floor, the King was escorted into the banquet. His brilliant golden hair shined like the sun and his presence made the crowds all stand on edge.

    "Greetings to His Majesty, the Sun of the Empire!" Said the King's Advisor.

    "Greetings to His Majesty, the Sun of the Empire!!" The people all said in unison as they bow.

"You may rise. I have called you all here for there is of great news. It is about the prophecy that was foretold seventeen years ago. It had said that in the near future, catastrophe would befall our Empire. However, the ones who were given life on that day would save the Empire. On the day of the prophecy, we founded one of the prophecy child."

    "One of the prophecy child? Does His Majesty means that there are more than one?" Whispered a noble man.

    "Lady Hestia must be nervous. Her place for the empress throne is now shaken. Hahaha!!" Whispered a noble lady.

    "The prophecy did seems to refer that there is more than one. I wonder how Lady Hestia is feeling?" Whisper another noble.

Hestia was restless, she clenched onto her dress. She turned and glanced at Christina.

    "No, impossible!?"

Christina noticed Hestia's glance and gave Hestia a bright smile. Hestia was startled and looked away. All of a sudden Hestia felt chills on her spine. She turned around to look and her eyes met with her father's eyes. Her father's eyes was filled with anger as he glared at Hestia.

    "F-father..." Whispered Hestia.

Hestia was terrified and shocked. But as she was not even given the time to compose herself the Emperor's words made way to her ears.

    "Today, another prophecy child was found. Not only was she born on the day of the prophecy but she holds the power of light magic."

    "Light magic!? Isn't that rare! Anyone who holds light magic can challenge the throne of the Emperor and Empress!" Exclaimed a noble.

The Emperor glared down on the noble who blurted out loud. His eyes that could kill. The noble shivers in fear and lowered his head.

    "Blasphemy! You dare to threaten the throne of the Sun of the Empire! You can be executed for treason!" Yelled the King's Advisor.

The Emperor raised his hand to stop the advisor as he continue his speech.

    "She is none other then Baron Louvelli's adopted daughter, Christina Louvelli. Christina Louvelli will be named the second candidate for the Crown Princess. In a week, three test will be given to the two candidates to complete in the fixed time of three months. Given how well the performances of Hestia Lillian Westfield and Christina Louvelli. One of them will be titled the next Empress, as the other will be given the title of Queen. I expect the next Empress to be knowledgeable and skilled to support the next Emperor. One can not be a wise Empress even if she is granted a gift from god, while the other can not be one with just skills. I expect to see good results, Hestia Lillian Westfield and Christina Louvelli."

The Emperor glanced at Hestia and Christina followed by the rest of the people in the room.

    "I will not fail your expectations. Your Majesty, Sun of the Empire." Hestia curtsy to the Emperor.

    "As expected of Lady Hestia, she is unfazed by this commotion. Truly, a material for an Empress." Whispered a lady.

    "I-I will do my best. Your Majesty, Sun of the Empire." Christina followed along Hestia, a little scared.

    "I would not be so sure about that, Lady Christina although a commoner. She holds the magic of light, that is enough to make her Empress even if she lacks education." Whispered another lady.

    "It seems like Lady Hestia is more at a disadvantage here. Hahaha..." Whispered another.

All my whole life I prepared myself to become the Empress. In fact, I was going to be the Future Empress. I dedicated everything to being the Empress. But instantly my place that was suppose to belong only to me started to shatter...

Hestia stepped out of the carriage as she reached home. As she enters the mansion, she was greeted by the tensity of the servants.

    "Lady Hestia, His Grace wants to see you." Said a maid.

    "I see...  Lead the way."

Led by the maid, Hestia was taken to The Duke's study room. The maid knocked on the door and called out to The Duke.

    "Your Grace, Lady Hestia is here."

    "She may enter and everyone leave us be." Said The Duke.

Hestia enters the room and greeted her father as the door closed behind her.

    "Father, you asked for me?"

The Duke turned around and raised his hand towards Hestia. Hestia squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the impact of the slap. However, she couldn't feel anything. She slowly open her eyes as it fell on the back of The Duke.

    "You will be meeting the Emperor in a week. You can't go there with an injured face. I'll let you off easy this time. You do know what you did wrong don't you."

    "Yes, Father. I was incompetent. I gave way for another to compete with me for the place of the Empress. I have let you down. I apologize."

    "As long as you know the extent of your failure. I will let you off with only 6 days in the room. That way you will have a day to prepare for your next meeting with the Emperor. You should be grateful."

Hestia froze in place as she trembles slightly. Her eyes narrowed as it shook.

    "What is your answer." The Duke turned around and glare at Hestia. His tone rough and harsh.

    "I understand, Father. Thank you for your kindness."

    "Maids! Take her to the room!"

Ever since Christina Louvelli came into the picture. Hestia time in the room has started again. She had thought that she finally escaped the room. She worked hard and secured the one thing that her father would acknowledge of her. The position of the Empress, it had kept her safe.

Or so I thought, but I came to realize my fate as I stand in front of the door of the room. I had never escaped.

Author Notes

-Duke: A member of nobility that ranks just below the monarch, a ruler of a "duchy" (county, territory, or domain) Sometimes a duke have a higher status than a prince given what status the prince have.

-Baron: A lord who was given control over a particular piece of land by the king.

- King Advisor: assist the king on political matters and relations of the media.

-Royal Titles in order:
King/Queen
Prince/Princess
Duke/Duchess
Marquess/Marchioness
Viscount/Viscountess
Baron/Baroness
Knight