Chapter Three: Obedience

Hestia stands solemnly in front of the door of the Throne Room. Faint chatter of the Emperor and Christina escaped the walls of the room and into Hestia's ears. She stares serenely into the door as she inhale and closes her eyes. The guards announces her entrance, she exhales and open her eyes as the door creaked opened. Her eyes changed from serene to steady and confident eyes. Hestia enters the room and walks towards the Emperor as she stops nexts to Christina and in front of the Emperor.

The Emperor, although in his forties was still quite youthful. After the long conquest of unifying the Kingdom ten years ago. There was peace for a decade, yet the long peace did not make the Emperor lose his touch. His body was still toned and strong. His golden eyes was intense and powerful. With those piercing and observant eyes that could burn through anything it sees. He was truly like that of the sun.

    "Greetings Your Majesty, Sun of the Empire. It seems that I was late, I must have gotten the time wrong. Forgive me, for making Your Majesty wait." Hestia bows.

    "No, you are right on time. Lady Christina just came earlier then the scheduled time. Hahaha." The Emperor chuckles.

The Emperor seemed to be in a good mood. Hestia lifted her head and glanced at Christina. Christina smiles back and responded.

    "May I explain Your Majesty?"

    "Go ahead."

    "Lady Hestia, it was I who got the time wrong. I was too restless that I came too early, but I'm glad that I came early. To be able to have a nice chat with Your Majesty was worth it." Christina pleasantly explained.

    "Hahaha. Don't flatter this old man."

    "It's the truth, Your Majesty. Hehehe."

    "Well, lets stop the idle chat and get to business." The Emperor face changed from his soft smiling face into that of a lion ready to pounce its prey.

That cheery atmosphere was gone in an instant as if there never was such a scene that had happened. Both Christina and Hestia stiffen, it was like at that moment they are in the middle of a battle, where one wrong move could be the end of their life.

    "I have called you both today to give out a decree. Christina Louvelli and Hestia Lillian Westfield, as the two candidates for the Crown Princess, you will be given three tests to decide who will be the next Empress. Gilbert."

The Emperor waved his right hand up as the King's Advisor by his side took a few steps forward and rolled open a scroll. His long hair was tie into a ponytail to a side, the color of seaweed dye his hair. The behind the specs of his glasses, his sharp eyes gleam a deep navy blue. He cleared his throat and commence to read the decree.

    "To decide who will be the next Empress, three test will be given out to the candidates. During the process of the tests the candidates will compete to demonstrate who has the best qualities to be the Empress. The competition will last for three months, every new month the next test will be revealed. The time limit for each test is the end of the month each test is given. The first test, the Leonaria Kingdom is currently facing the driest drought season this year. Lands have become barren and dry, the slums has grown in population, and the people are suffering. The candidates will be given the task to come up with a disaster relief plan to save the Kingdom from this crisis. Within the end of this month, Christina Louvelli and Hestia Lillian Westfield will meet with the Emperor again to introduce their plan and receive the next test. By the order of His Majesty Klaudius de Jule Raphaelius, Sun of the Empire."

The King's Advisor Gilbert, finished announcing the decree. He closed the scroll and step back into the shadow of the Emperor. His watchful eyes still silently gleam in the shadow watching the two candidates every move.