Lake Festivities

August 25, 2000

I was excited to see my new friends at school. After being invited to their lunch hangouts and after school activities I felt like I found my place at school. I wanted to know more about the guys and their time at school. The school had a large number of students that my friends most likely didn't know I was new to Diablo High School.

As my mom drove me to school I looked around for any sign of Serj's car or anybody else I might now. It was thirty minutes before school started and there was a lot of people hanging out.

As I walked through the halls I sat in an empty stairway and took my phone out. I realized I didn't have their numbers yet so all I could do was play Tetris on my blackberry phone.

After many rounds of Tetris, the bell rang, I got up putting my phone away only to bump into someone familiar.
"I'm sorry!"
"You're fine Daron."
I looked up to see Serj. He was wearing a black Mtv shirt and baggy jeans along with his black backpack. Serj was pretty tall, I felt short in comparison.
"Serj hurry up! I wanna show you something!" Yelled a cute girl wearing a skirt and a small top.
"I gotta go, see ya later!" He said holding up a peace sign and walking away.
I felt a pinch of jealousy, was it because that girl was cute? Serj can have other friends Daron, I thought as I rummaged through the crowd of people.

Lunchtime rolled around and I went to go walk to our usual hangout place.
Outside in the field next to the mysterious forest, was where me and my friends would eat lunch. I started bringing my own lunch so that I could be with my group.
I walked up to the corner of the field where Serj, John, and Shavo were sitting.
"Did you guys get invited to Dave's party?" Serj asked.
"Yeah I did," replied Shavo stuffing his mouth with fries.
"We just got back to school and he's already got a party," John said looking down at his phone.
"Who's Dave?," I asked.
"Dave from English, he's the jock with big hair," Serj said.
"Oh," I said, feeling left out.
"Did you get invited?," Serj asked me.
"Uh, no, I don't know Dave," I replied, fiddling with my shoelace.
"You need to go to this party! He has one every year, there always hot chicks around!," he said nudging Shavo. "I can talk to him and tell him you're going, I'm sure he wouldn't mind," Serj said munching on some school Mac n cheese.
"Really? I've never been to a high school party!," I said, hiding my excitement but failing to do so.
"We're gonna have fun as long as Serj doesn't end up drunk cause he ends up flirting with anyone in a 10 mile radius," Shavo said, laughing.
"Shut up!," Serj punched him in the arm.

"Do you smoke?," asked Serj.
That was the question to strengthening our friendship. I was invited to their smoke outs after school. Serj and the others would head over to a forest around 20 minutes away to smoke.

3:00pm

As everyone rushed out the doors to leave school I walked over to Serj's red car. It was a nice car for any kid his age. As I walked over to the car someone came from behind me and tackled me.
"Did I scare you?," Serj said giggling.
"You scared the crap out of me!" I laughed nervously.
John and Shavo were catching up to Serj and I. Serj put his backpack in the trunk while we got in the car.
I pulled out my phone to text my mom.

I'm gonna be out with some friends for a while :)

Serj started the car and started driving towards the street. I looked down at his phone to see a new message from my mom.

Mom: Ok have fun! ^_^

I cringed at the little emoticon on my phone but smiled.
As the radio was playing highway to hell by AC/DC one of their biggest songs, Serj started driving towards the freeway.
"We usually go this forest, it's not too far," he said as he was looking around ready to merge onto the freeway.
I took this time to look over at Serj, his short curly hair, big hairy arms as well as big hands. I looked down at my hands and noticed how feminine they looked.