Clear Sky - Part 2

The morning shined bright, but the horizons were dark with grey clouds. And Wilbur's morning was going to be just like the sky on that day. The selection for the biggest tournament in their kingdom was today and the gigantic gates called for the contestants like the drums of war called the warriors for the battle, the participants walked in, carrying with them weapons and their hopes of winning. The cheering, the nervousness in the air, the lingering thought of "will I pass?" or "will I go down?" making the symphony of the contestants that day.

 Wilbur had his own weapon in hand, not quite ready to face the challenge ahead of him, but it did not make him shy away from his task at that place. He took a deep breath, as his skilful hands prepared.

 Then he sat down at the fountain near the market, strumming a guitar and making his own symphony, a cheerful song, a small ode to those who would battle today. Wilbur was not a man of war or prone to fights, but yes a man of art. The only battles he ever picked in his life were fought with words in the name of the people, in the name of revolution! And that was why he was here right now, and not sitting at a castle but sitting among the folk, not with a crown on his head but with respect nonetheless and not with subjects but with peers.

 As people pooled around the fountain to listen to the musician, Wilbur sang louder and got up on his feet, letting himself go in his own river of chords, the timidness of the beginning of the tune long forgotten.

 The song called the attention of someone, much opposite to Wilbur, who walked the streets with a crown and robes, protected by two guards but still feeling unsafe. Somehow they felt familiarity on Wilbur's song, the faint feeling of recognition and nostalgia only serving to confuse Eret who knew they never heard that song, let alone that voice, before. But if felt like a lullaby, a nursery rhyme that they heard in their childhood sung by a friend that never existed or by his mother in their half asleep state. The song made them feel safe in the weirdest way possible.

 For a moment, Wilbur locked his gaze at Eret's eyes, and they felt like Wilbur was staring at their soul. The gaze bore no obliging respect, nor hate, or superiority. Just equality. Wilbur looked at them like they were just another one in the crowd and that made him shudder. Before Eret could make his way to Wil, both were cut by a merchant, yelling louder than sirens at guards and pointing at Wilbur.

" THAT'S HIM! THE FILTHY RAT THAT KEEPS STEALING MY INSTRUMENTS!! "

 Wil gathered the donations of listeners as quickly as he could and ran, leaving Eret curious and staring at the fountain, the feeling much like Alice when she saw the White Rabbit striked their heart and with no warning the King bolted to follow the musician. Both ran to the coliseum. And as they entered, Wilbur's music might have been cut short, but the sirens that alerted the beginning of the selection continued it in honour of the ones ready to compete, and the cheers of the crowd would soon be the choir of this day's rhapsody.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 Techno looked around the other contestants as he sharpened the axe in his hand, seeing how they equipped themselves and talked. He could hear familiar voices joking, a way too familiar kettle laugh, approaching, and then a hand on his shoulder.

" Hey, bacon! Ready to lose? "

 Techno sighed as he turned to the man, long, naturally messy, pink locks falling from his shoulders like a curtain. He had not yet made his ponytail, although his bangs were already braided.

" It's not the contest yet, Dream. I can't technically lose. "

Dream rolled his eyes and sat by his side, his annoying(at least in Techno's opinion) smile shining bright on his face.