Chapter 4: high school drama to band meetings

[Marie's POV]
.
"Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Mar. Mar. Marie. Marie Noelle." Athena nudged, trying to get my attention. I pushed back my black rimmed glasses up and kept walking towards last period. Sixth period was Music, the only class that the four of us had together.

"Corona del Marie."

"Shut up shut up shut up, that was back in middle school." I whisper-yelled, glaring at now blonde chick "What do you want anyways?"

"Hi." She giggles. I shake my head at her and walk faster, ignoring her once again.

"Okay, okay. That was uncalled for." She sighs. "In reality I wanted to ask if we could go to the diner down the street? We haven't been there in so long Mar" she pouts, crinkling her nose.

"Fine, ask Rox and Adri too though."

"Obvio-"

"Athena! Darling!" A whiny voice yells from the other side of the halls. Athena cringes and glances at me, looking annoyed, and turning around. I hid behind her 5' 7 stature, as she gets pulled into a one-sided bone crushing hug by the queen bee of the school, Clarissa Deveraux. Clarissa is the snob of our high school, as she's rich and is Cheer captain. Quite frankly, she can't cheer for shit. She just makes orders and humiliates the cheerleaders. No one says anything about it because her parents basically fund the school. She's been trying to get Athena to get in cheer since freshman year because 'she had the body and face.' Actually, why is there cheerleading in a performing arts school? "You look stunning as always!" She exclaims, looking at her outfit ecstatically. I thought what we wore was horrendous, since we don't dress up like this when we're not in school, but this was how we separated our real personalities. To be honest my mom would've been proud of what I wear to school, since she hates the punk rock community, but I moved out of her house last year.

"Thank you, I guess." Athena said, smiling weakly.

"You know, it's almost September. It's still not late for you to join the team, and probably never will Ms. Camarillo" She smirks, gum clacking in her mouth, which made me cringe harshly.

"Probably later Clarissa. I have to go to class." Athena rushes out, tugging my sleeve.

She rolls her eyes at us, "don't you want to ditch, Athena? Doesn't music get boring to you like, ever? I doubt you can get anywhere with music."

"No, it doesn't get boring. Bye" she glares at Clarissa, storming off whilst pulling the sleeve of my cardigan.

"Why do you even talk to her?" I mutter to Athena as we enter the music room.

"I don't know why" she shrugs "you're still pissed off that she stole Noah from you, huh?"

"Shut up, Athena. Its been four months, obviously I'm over him."

"The locket hanging from your neck says otherwise." She sighs and goes to the percussion section. Wait, did she just mock my necklace and technically quote Fall Out Boy? I roll my eyes and pick up my flute, throwing a piece sign to Roxanne and Adrianna as I sit down in the front row of the ensemble. I didn't hear the bell ring but the music teacher comes in, a short stack of papers in her hands.

"Good afternoon, everyone. I have the music sheets for the march at homecoming. But first, I have the new section leaders for this semester." She says as she pulls up a page on the projector. "Flutes will have Marie Costello, percussion will have Athena Camarillo, jazz band will have Roxanne Hernandez..." I hid my face behind my hands, this wasn't good. Plus, people were staring at me, which spiked my anxiety more.

"Lucky" I mouthed to Adrianna, but I guess the teacher saw me.

"Marie, care to share what you were talking about?" I glance at Adri and she shrugs and nods.