Starting Line

"What were you doing outside away from the guests (Y/N)?" My uncle asked in his syrupy voice that indicated that he was displeased with my actions. Luckily, I already knew what to say.

"I apologize, uncle, I became acquainted with one of the Moriarty siblings and we were having a conversation on the balcony." Doll-like eyes faced their jailer, all emotion surging within remained hidden with years of training. But unlike the child before him, my uncle's began to twinkle madly with victorious greed.  He gave a strong one-armed hug.

"That's my boy! It is good you are associating with children your own age, I am sure Uncle can get annoying at times will all my adult talk." After saying this, he grabbed both my shoulders to make me face him. "But let me know before you wander next time, you made me worried that history repeated itself. Please don't leave me (Y/N), your uncle can't take another loss." I understood the hidden message clearly; Obey or suffer the consequences.

"Of course Uncle," I state neutrally, if I were anyone else this comment could be considered sarcasm, but I haven't expressed emotions since the death of my family.

Time Skip

The time since my birthday ball and promise of freedom has passed with the summer breeze. Now, the wind had the nipping bite of a dark beast. The greenery is beginning to brown and die, the skies begin to darken as our country begins to fall into winter. My life has not changed much, I still live with my uncle and still must obey what he desires of me to do, but I now exchange frequent letters with the Moriarty family, specifically William. With each letter, my heart begins to pound with anticipation. The message in today's letter promises to break the last of my shackles, the annual Hunting Event hosted by the Royal Family is about to open, I am told this will give me the opportunity to hunt a beast in human skin.

Ah, I feel so buoyant, have I ever had such light within my bosom before? William has an intellect that rivals my own despite my reincarnated advantage, we have spent countless messages discussing miscellaneous topics, mostly centered on how one would improve society. I expressed an interest in creating a vocational school, which prompted him to ask just what that is. Once told, his following letter stated he had a great desire to hear more of my ideas. Though I can't claim all the credit, as most of my ideas came from my past life. I am so glad Uncle allows me to keep my letters from William.

I flew by my day and began the first step of my new family's plan.

"Uncle, I have received a letter from the Mortiarty's today." My uncle instantly lifted his head from his meal to look at me.

"Oh, what are the contents?" I handed over a letter James gave when he sent his letter, a letter that invites my uncle and myself to join them in their tent during the Royal Hunting Event. My uncle's eyes seemed to blur are read and reread the contents before giving a booming laugh.

"Ahaha, perfect my heir! You have done well to establish a connection with the orphan Moriarty's! This presents an excellent opportunity to meet people of higher society, perhaps even royalty!"

"Congratulations Uncle, it is all thanks to your advice to become friends."

"Ahaha, that is true. I hope this is a good lesson, as long as you listen to me, you will be successful."

"Of course, Uncle, shall I send a reply accepting their generous invitation?" This seemed to snap my uncle out of his daydream. He quickly excused me from the table with an excited wave of his hand, quickly placing the invitation in his pocket. With his approval, I returned to my quarters.

Looking out on the balcony, I watch my family's stars. With my hands clasped in reverent prayer, I tell my parents that justice is coming, that they can rest in peace soon. The winds gently tousled my hair even as it carried a nipping cold. I return indoors as the wind beings to pick up, coming to my desk to write my letter to William about the success of the first step. Soon, soon, soon,  my mind whispered to my heart. Yes, yes, yes, replied my heart. Soon, my uncle will be dyed in the same colors of Hell and be my payment of deliverance from the torment of my soul. I will gain freedom and join my new family for a brighter future.

Sorry, it took a while, I had a hard time figuring out how to get rid of the uncle. Plus I haven't been keeping up with the anime, but with summer coming around the corner, I will have time to catch up. My storyline MC and Moriartys haven't even reached adulthood yet. I'm working on it. Hopefully, when the uncle is dead, I can start speeding through some years with some glossy details. Anyway, hope you liked it and feel free to give advice, I love reading comments.

1/30/2021

I just edited it, little changes that readers mentioned in the comments. My original hope when I wrote this was to make the reader Jack the Ripper since that would establish an "identity" while being gender-neutral. I, unfortunately, found out that there is already a "Jack the Ripper" character and the idea was scrapped. So I have been trying to figure out where to go with this and I still haven't watched the anime (only 2-3 episodes) and they have more seasons now too. Thankfully, I am still in the prequel area, but I am not sure how long to hold on to it, at least till the uncle is offed. Ideas are welcome.