Part 1

1346, Southern China, Chagatai Khanate

High above the dirt roads carrying late-night walkers and traveling merchants back home, a young boy in midnight garb crouched easily in the branches of a dawn redwood tree.

The only thing Xap Myyp could make out from his position was the intersection, where a lone foreign trinket seller was closing up shop. The sky was clear that night, and a full moon filtered through the branches. Jagged strips of its silver light scattered across the path, like tiger stripes. 

This close to the harbor, Xap could smell the salt clinging to the air. It threaded its way through the leaves and stung his nose. Normally he would have arrived at home already, but earlier in the market square he'd caught a tip that a pesky night thief had been sacking ox carts and robbing their owners blind, usually getting away without leaving a trace. Xap had immediately decided to put an end to it. There was a reason the Mongol Empire was known for the safest trade routes.

Xap waited patiently, watching the bushes along the path and the merchant's cart for signs of movement. The intersection darkened as the moon slid behind thicker trees. 

Xap's sharp white teeth glinted in the darkness. Night vision made his job so much more fun. The thief would be depending on the cover of night for his attack. But as the forest became steadily darker and the birds quieted down, the thief would be walking straight into Xap's open claws.

Hopefully his mother wouldn't be too worried. He'd stayed out later than this before. They were a poor family now, but once his father had been a great general in the Khan's army, known for his logic and prowess--but his legacy had come to a sudden end when he was killed in battle against a nomadic tribe. Despite their resulting financial predicament, Xap felt a great deal of loyalty to the Khanate, and had hoped to one day become a soldier in the army himself- until he had been given a unique, more effective way to protect the Empire.

It had arrived on his doorstep a few months ago, small and unassuming, a silver ring in an ornate Chinese box. Nothing to be especially treasured, considering the Mongolian Empire had taken over the Chinese government and their land long ago. But when Xap opened the box, he had met Plagg-an ancient Chinese spirit, equipped with the power of destruction. Plagg had explained the power that would be granted to Xap, along with the need for Plagg's existence to be a secret.

Ever since, Xap had been using his miraculous to protect the people of the Empire. There were no rewards or riches involved, but he found it much more productive in serving the Khanate. Not to mention preferable to charging numbly into battle. He never had to kill anyone or risk being killed. He was granted the stealth, senses, and skill of a panther, and hence, the people had affectionately nicknamed him Xap Myyp, meaning black cat. 

No one could know who he was. A rumor had spread that perhaps he was a god. Some kind soul had built a small wooden temple along the road, and people left offerings in return for the black cat's protection. Xap would travel to the temple in the dead of night and collect the offerings, surprising his mother in the morning with filling meals of freshly baked bread and delicious pastries and fruits.

Xap's stomach growled humbly as he sat in the tree. He'd check the temple right after catching this thief.

Far below on the path, a figure's shadow caught his eye. Xap tensed, leaning forward to get a better look. A man, no doubt. Dark, unassuming clothes covered the outline of what was once a hefty, muscular frame. He strolled toward the merchant's cart as if it were completely sane to be wandering alone at midnight.

The owner of the cart was just about finished storing his wares, when he noticed the man's presence behind him. Just as he was about to turn around, the man pulled out a club and knocked him unconscious.