Chapter 5: Looking For Answers, Something's Not Right, And The Furies Return

Later that afternoon, Xena, Sydney, and Gabrielle walk into the main house and into the living room where Kira is waiting. Gabrielle's left hand is in a cast, and she has a sad look on her face.

"Gabrielle! What happened?" a shocked Kira asks.

Xena sits Gabrielle down on the couch, looks to Sydney, and says, "Get her some coffee, please." Sydney shakes her head yes and leaves for the kitchen. Gabrielle curls to the corner of the couch, looking at her cast.

Xena looks at Kira and says, "She was at a bar and was defending a woman whose boyfriend assaulted her. She has a small hairline fracture."

Kira looks at Gabrielle and asks, "How's the guy doing?"

"He's in the hospital being guarded by police," Xena says. "He wasn't even supposed to be in the bar; he is on probation for drunk driving and assault."

Sydney comes into the living room with a mug of coffee. She sets it down on the coffee table, looks at Gabrielle, and says, "Joxer should be here with your pain meds soon.' Sydney then looks at Xena and asks, "Did Maria call you back yet?"

"Not yet," Xena says. "She's going over surveillance cameras at the bar right now."

"Will Gabrielle be arrested also?" Kira asks.

"Don't know," Xena says. "The guy is in no position right now to press charges against her. And according to his now ex-girlfriend and everyone in the bar, Gabrielle came to her defense."

"I blacked out," Gabrielle says. "Something isn't right. I should've never done what I did to that guy."

"According to the bartender, he had it coming," Sydney says.

"Still, for me to blackout like that! I don't even remember being in the bar." Gabrielle says worriedly.

Joxer, Lauren, Kendal, and Amarice walk into the house. Joker is carrying a bag and hands it to Gabrielle."Here you go, Gaby. The pharmacist said to read the directions. These pills are powerful, so take one only if you need it."

"Got it, Joxer, thanks." Gabrielle says as she takes the bottle out of the bag and takes a pain pill. She sets the bottle on the coffee table, then says, "I want to apologize for how I acted. That wasn't me."

"We know, Gabrielle." Lauren says.

"We are here for you." Amarice says. "We will help you through this."

Gabrielle smiles at Amarice and says, "Thanks, Amarice." Gabrielle looks at everyone and says, "I don't know what happened to me. This isn't like me."

"We know this." Kendal says worriedly. "We just want to help you deal with this. We care about you. Like Amarice said, we are here for you."

Suddenly, Aphrodite appears. She notices Gabrielle's injury and asks, "Little One, what happened?"

"I blacked out, and a guy ended up in the hospital." Gabrielle says.

"He deserved it!" Sydney proclaimed. "You did nothing wrong, Gabrielle."

"Still, for me to blackout like that! That's not me." Gabrielle says.

Xena looks at Aphrodite and asks, "What did Ares say?"

"He claims he knows nothing." Aphrodite says.

"Which we all know isn't true," Sydney says.

Xena starts to pace back and forth; she then looks at Gabrielle and asks, "You said you blacked out, right?"

"Yeah," Gabrielle says. "Right after my nightmares."

"Do you remember the nightmare you had last night and this morning ?" Xena asks.