Page 1

Two boys stood close in a field, they examined the leaves sprouting from the rich soil. The smaller boy chose one of the stems and pulled. The beet was ruby red, and were ready to be pulled. It was a beautiful site to see, all of the harvest lay out in front of them.

"The beets look ready, don't they?" one boy said to the other.

"What are you going to do with your share?" the other asked

"Make soup and sell it." the first boy said

"It's all about the money for you, isn't it?" the other snapped

"Yeah and what about it? I'm just trying to make a living." the first boy said jokingly.

They both laughed. It was a hearty laugh, one that resonates around the people. They'd known each other forever, worked on a neighbor's farm since they were both twelve. Jasper was a bit older, and taller, blonde with green eyes. Elliot was shorter and more slender than Jasper.

The birds started to chirp at the crack of dawn, this was Elliot's alarm during all of the year except when they flew south, then he was just late for work. Jasper used a real clock to wake at the right time a bit earlier than Elliot, so he too would make it on time.

"Elly!" Jasper shouted.

He threw a small rock at the window. The window opened.

"Jasp you didn't need to do that."

"Why not? You're never awake on time!"

"The birds are my alarm." Eliot said wearily

"Did you hit your head last night?"

"No."

"Well get down here."

Elliot ran down the stairs with ease. He ran past Jasper, they instinctively raced to the farm. Elliot thought he'd be stuck in the small town forever but Jasper, Jasper had big plans. He wanted a food empire, he had recipes for everything. He wanted to move to the big city and take Eliot with him. He always said how they would change the world together.