Chapter 4

Hours had passed, Ethan taking his third shower of the afternoon. He found that a cool shower was the only thing that could keep his emotions in order; like somehow cold water dropping off his skin soothed him. His thoughts barely connected like fragments of things you would do or think. He was in a ghost like trance, no feeling or soul, like everything that made Ethan, Ethan, was gone.

Her face circled his mind, the image of her on the floor breaking him down. Each second without her, worrying about her made him feel lonely, him knowing now he needed her. Nothing could change his mind, it was no longer about who saw or about being her boss, he wanted her, he needed her. His feelings were driving him wild, because nothing at that moment mattered more than her.

Cool water still rushing down his skin really helped. The thought of her made his skin tingle and burn but the water kept it from showing. As if the universe had heard his thoughts, his phone buzzed, Naveens name on screen. In a hurried rush Ethan turned off the shower, scooting over to pick it up.

"She's alive, Ethan," Naveens words rang from the speakers of his phone.

"Alive, that doesn't mean she's ok, Naveen is Dr. Lorelli ok?" Ethan's voice was etched with panic and worry.

"Ethan, She's in the ICU. She was dehydrated, sleep deprived, completely over worked. The fact she had Appendicitis as well doesn't help as she was probably in pain and vomiting. The surgery itself went really well but her body didn't respond in the best way. They gave her morphine and she went into Anaphylactic Shock. She was revived and is breathing on her own but there is a chance she might never wake up. I really don't want to scare you but you're a doctor, and you know very well that she might not even make the night. Ethan you have to understand if you rush to her side and something happens it will be harder. Please be careful." And that was it. The older doctor's voice disappeared as the call ended. Not sure if it was Nareen hanging up, or the fact Ethan's phone fell to the ground as he felt as though he had been punched in the stomach. A feeling of dread,overwhelmed his body. He felt his throat close and his vision began to blur. Ethan fell to the ground, the coldness of it hitting him hard. "I love her" he whispered, his voice giving out at the end as a wave of emotions hit him. Ethan Jonah Ramsey was now truly helpless.