Chapter One

𝒯𝓊𝑒𝓈𝒹𝒶𝓎 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝟤𝟢𝓉𝒽 𝑜𝒻 𝒥𝓊𝓃𝑒 𝟣𝟫𝟥𝟫

Taking one last look at myself in the glass, I turned and joined my father in the dining room.

"Ah! There she is, my little Shirley," my father smiled as I sat down opposite him at the table, "You look lovely, you will do the family name proud my dear".

I nodded elegantly to him, not wanting to speak for fear of starting a long conversation and my breakfast going cold. All the same, I looked down at myself and had to agree that I looked neater than usual. my white blouse tucked into a navy blue pleated plaid skirt and hidden by my well-fitted also navy blue jumper while white bobby socks and a new pair of black satin and leather oxfords adorned my feet. Smiling, I began to eat.

It was hard to contain my excitement as we neared the station however the sturdy feel of my father's arm in mine helped me steady myself and remember my place. Glancing up at him I felt the regret of being excited as I saw the sadness in his eyes. It hadn't been easy for him ever since my mother passed two years ago; we were a happy family until influenza took her from us and since then, my father had never really recovered. I had had numerous nannies and governesses during this time but now my father had decided that it was time I enter the next stage in my life and gosh I was excited!