The Infected

No one really ever knows what to say when someone dies. Especially when it's your family. Three days ago there was an accident that caused a lot of death. My family was driving to Georgia to get my aunt, Stacy, without me. They were part of a wreck that killed roughly thirty people. A big truck carrying chemicals had been tipped over and that's all anyone told me.

My mother, father, and little brother all died.

My name is Brooke Collins. I am sixteen years old and I live in Head of Elm, Texas.

This is my story.

It starts in a police station.

"Now Brooke, you know Mrs. Evans has offered to give you a permanent home and that is where you will be staying."

The overgrown police officer told me as he drummed the paper cup of of coffee with his fingers. I just nodded and turned away to hide a tear streaming down my cheek.

"Everything will be okay Ms. Collins," with that he gripped his coffee and turned to leave.

"Hey Brooke, are you ready?" I hear a door open and Mrs. Evans voice trying to calm me and get me to move all a once.

"Yes.." I whispered. She grabbed my hand and pulled my shell of a body to her car.

The ride to her home was long and wet, well as long as long can get for Head of Elm. The rain hadn't stopped since two days ago. The scenery of Head of Elm was a lot like any other Texas town. Except smaller, way smaller. Head of Elm had a population of 1,042. It's a very exciting place, if you can sense my sarcasm. She turned her blinker on and finally pulled into the driveway.

"Collin stopped by your house and grabbed what he thought you'd need. He said you wouldn't mind.." her voice trailed off.

"Thank you Mrs. Evans. For everything." I say trying to fight the tears rising to my eyes. "Collin is here?" I ask having to try even harder now.

"Yes Brooke, I believe he's waiting for you."

As I get out of the car I look up at the marvelous house. It was four stories. Everything about it seemed perfect. It is painted white with black trim, it has a red door, and a beautiful lawn and garden to compliment it. Collin told me that it used to be a plantation. It's not long, I don't even make it to the door, when my best friends arms find me.

"Brooke." Collin says.

"Collin I can't," he holds me as I choke on my tears.

"No, it's okay, I know." He holds me tighter in the rain with all of the splashing sounds and the only thing keeping me warm in the November rain is his body.

"Okay, so your stuff is here in the room next to mine. You can get me whenever. Or just hang out," he says two hours later after we get settled inside.

"Collin, thank you. I don't know what I'd do without you." I say.

"I'll always be there for you. You know that." he says staring at me with his stunning blue eyes.

"I know." Is all I manage to say.

"We can watch a movie?" he says in his classic Collin voice.

"Yeah, alright." I say to him. "I'll go change."

Being around Collin numbs the pain or hides reality. He makes everything seem more... Normal. Being in his house wasn't-isn't weird. I always spend loads of time here. Eat, sleep, video games, repeat. Something like that anyway. He's my best friend.

When I returned to watch the movie he had picked out a new comedy. It isn't long until were both laughing and pretending everything was okay. My family all but forgotten.