Little Eruptions of Green

This was something else. So incredibly new. Something far more stunning, far more alive than anything I'd ever seen before. I had been in one place forever, but I had never looked at it from here. I was suspended over the lanscape, the ravine, and while everything wasn't clear, I could see that it was beautiful. I had never seen him this way before. From this angle. He was glowing.

Candles were quiet memories of light, casting shadows that lingered like lacy spiderwebs, falling across unfamiliar faces. I felt like I knew them, the people who were living along side me. Time was stealing daylight from them too. We were experiencing something, from the looks that stumbled like revelations across lips and cautious eyes. I knew I would be the background of their memory. It rendered them something new, something that was even more.

The sun had almost completely vanished under it's slumbering skyline, and the soft voices wrapped around us like faceless whispers. Hushed secrets containing no impact to me, us, but still heavy with meaning, still living with importance. The weight of the words was still apparent, even if it was not directly obvious to me.

This was the environment for soft words. This was the place where reality was broken, and the cautious woke.

Where held back words slipped out into the air like fireworks, trickling into an explosion.

James had eyes like moons, soft and low over a landscape covered in cautious silhouettes.

"I am aware our relationship slightly exceeds that of a first date," he said slowly.

I shook my head and peered out into the darkening sky.

"You're right, I know you far too well."

His eyebrow raised slightly and his fingers drummed against the table.

"I know you do," his pause was filled with words, hidden in silence, but I felt like I heard him. It surprised me a little.

"That," he continued. "Is where I got this idea..."

"What?" I asked him, "James, you know what ideas can do,"

He grinned and I felt my heart blaze, leaving me, melting like a candle.

"Since you know me, and I know you," this pause left his voice deeper than normal, eyelashes lowering so that his gaze held me, completely still.

"I think you should, " his smile became desperately hard to ignore, "let me introduce you, I want to tell you about yourself" he was tentative, so hopeful. There was this sweet little grin that had curled up against his face.

I stared at him.

"What?"

His smile flared up like a fire, he was igniting. "I want to tell you about yourself, I feel like we could learn something about each other this way." His smile was brilliantly contagious. "Okay," I mumbled, candle flame sending shadows dancing across his skin. "I think I get it,"

The silence was thick as I paused, it wasn't tension that made his eyes cut into mine, it was something else. Something better.

"Alright," I said, feeling the weight of expectation dip slowly onto my shoulders. I felt how much he wanted this to work. I wanted to take this idea, and give it back to him. I saw the way he leaned forward just the slightest bit like he was hanging on my words. The things I wanted to say held tightly to the tip of my tounge, refusing to reveal themselves. Everything seemed to still as I searched for an answer.

"Your name is James Wiled."

His eyes rested on mine and his fingers drew little winding circles over the table.