Chapter 1

Sarah------------------------>

As I stared blankly at the ceiling, I didn't want to get up, didn't want to move a muscle, I just wanted to lay here and let the day go by, but I couldn't do that, so I rolled out of bed and stuck my feet into my slippers. I almost forget how comfortable my room would be if it weren't so stuffy and regal. It was grand with high marble ceilings and matching tile floors. Walls lined with gold trim and rose gold flower wallpaper.

I sighed and headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face, looking in the mirror at my curly red hair and glass stained blue eyes hoping I liked what I saw staring back at me. People all over this country praise how beautiful I am, but I don't feel that way. Shaking my head from the thoughts that were creeping in, I put my hair into a ponytail and walked out of the bathroom.

Walking down the hall of the grand castle, the walls were lined with pictures that I've seen so many times of kings that ruled before my father and by the time I reached the end, the walls were blank of future kings to come. I walked down the grand two sided staircase and headed into the kitchen where I saw my moms 'servant' Patricia making a pot of coffee. Sitting on a stool with my elbows on the table and head in my hands, my mind wandered off somewhere else when I smelled a hot cup of coffee under my nose. I looked down past my hands at the cup and looked back up at Patricia and gave a small smile.

"Thank you Pat, where are my parents?" I asked as I sipped on the steamy hot coffee.

"They are in the confines of the throne room." she said sweeping with her back towards me.

I nodded then slid down off the stool with coffee in hand, thanking her as I walked out of the kitchen sauntering down the main hall to the throne room. Once I got there staring at the grand oak door I contemplated whether or not I even wanted to go in there. Nothing good ever came from talking to them, not even having minimal conversations with them, but I knocked on the door anyway.

"Come in." my father said from the other side. I walked in and they were sitting down reading the daily news of this fine country they rule. I sat in the chair in front of them and sipped my coffee. My mother finally noticed my presence and smiled at me.

"Sarah, good you're up. We need to talk" she said calmly and this is why I didn't want to come in here. I always hated her tone because she always sounded so queenly, like there aren't any problems in the country they rule.

"Ok what is it?" I asked, looking between the two of them. They both looked up, but no one spoke.

"Well Henry, you tell her." she told my father.

I looked over at him, "What is it, just say it." I was completely not in the mood for games.

"Sarah, we know you don't like having a 'servant', but we have decided that you are going to get one." his kingly manner slightly showing "You're coming of age where the country may one day look to you or your brother to rule and they will want to know their rulers stand by the laws we create."

My coffee was inches from my lips when he said this and about to spill on me if I hadn't stopped myself, so I put the cup back down from my mouth and stared at them.

"No. No. No I will not go through with this, there is no way I am getting a 'servant', I won't have this." I said boldly.

My father didn't look too pleased with my outburst as he slowly rose from his throne with a completely stern look on his face "Sarah Eliza Tate, I will not tolerate this kind of behavior in my castle. This isn't up for discussion, I am telling you, not asking you, so I would advise you to march up those stairs, put on some clothes and meet Carl at the car right NOW or so help me..." he commanded, but had to take a long breath before he sat back in his chair.