Thirty-Four

"You nervous for tonight?" Jazmyn asked me.

I looked up at her, my face stuffed with food.

I nodded, unable to speak.

"Stress eating?" Sylvia asked as she slid in next to Jazmyn.

I nodded, swallowing. "I'm absolutely terrified we're going to lose. They have the best volleyball program in the state."

"You gotta take it one play at a time," Jazmyn reminded me.

"I know," I sighed. "We're so freaking close that it's freaking me out. We lost to them in the tournament during league. What if we lose again?"

"Talking about tonight's game?" Edwin asked as he slid in next to Sylvia.

I nodded, watching him press a kiss to Sylvia's temple. Jackson sat next to me, Colton taking a seat on the other side of me. He kissed my cheek in greeting.

"You're going to be okay," Edwin said.

"You guys. I'm literally terrified of losing tonight. If we lose, we lose state," I added.

Colton slung an arm around my shoulders.

"Breathe," he reminded me.

"I've seen you play, Heather. You're going to kick ass," Jackson said to me.

"You saw me play last year when we played your old school. This team... these girls are... They're something else. Their entire team plays club," I responded as I shoved another carrot into my mouth. "They were practically born with a volleyball in their hands."

"How's your team doing this year?" Colton asked.

"We're doing really well. We've only lost a few games, which is why we qualified for state. Tonight's game determines who takes it."

"Have they lost at all?" Sylvia asked.

"Yeah. Marianna mentioned they lost to one of the teams in our area, actually, but I can't remember which one."

"Well, haven't you beat all other teams here at least once?" Sylvia asked.

"Yeah, more or less. We've lost and won to some of the same schools," I answered.

"Then you guys stand a chance," she responded.

"Every play has to go well. We have to be in sync more than we've ever been, all of us," I said.

"Heather, the volleyball team is like a family. I don't think that's going to be a problem tonight," Jazmyn reminded me.

I sighed. "I'm just really nervous for tonight. The team's getting together before tonight's game, just to kind of get our heads together. How are you all doing?"

"We have another late practice today. Coach is increasing practice since we're on the way to state, too," Edwin answered.

"Same with us. We travel next week for our competition. I don't think I've ever been more bruised than I am now with the constant practices. My life is not my own anymore," Sylvia admitted. 

Jazmyn nodded in agreement.

I thought back to what Clara and I had talked about last week, about picking one positive every day.

"You guys. Do you realize this?" I asked everyone.

They all looked at me curiously.

"We're all going to state. We're seniors, and we made it to state! I mean, none of us have won or anything yet, but think about it. We got here, despite everything that's happened," I pointed out.