Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Kristen pulled into the station parking garage and got out of her Lexus. She strolled into the building pressing the button on the elevator. Once in she rode it up to homicide. Scott was at his desk in the bull pen. “How did it go?”

“He made some changes to my meds. He wants to try me on something new for my headaches. Are we ready to give the profile?”

Scott picked up a notepad and stood up. “Yes ma’am, let’s get this done.”

Kristen and Scott waltzed into Captain Hooper’s office, “We have the profile.” Kristen handed him what Scott had come up with.

“Let’s go give it,” Hooper stood and followed Kristen and Scott to the bullpen. “Attention folks, the preliminary profile are ready to be released. Listen up. It is your responsibility to make sure everyone has it and that we are efficient while looking for the suspect.”

Kristen started the profile Scott came up with.  “He is a single, white male between the ages of 28-35. He lives in Seattle. He keeps his appearance clean and neat. He has short dark hair with blue eyes. He is considered quiet and conservative by those who know him. I believe people would mistake him as kind because of his quiet demeanor. But he is a psychopath, completely self-absorbed. His employment is unknown, but he knows enough medical terminology to speak to doctors and put them at ease.”  

Scott finished the profile, “He fantasizes about his victims until he cannot fantasize anymore. That is when he goes for the attack. He is very patient in his crimes, stalking and killing without detection. This is not someone who is heavily into drugs or alcohol. They have nothing to do with why he kills. He is an occasional drinker, may even used it as a ruse as with Diana Frost.  However, this is a person who follows women looking at how his victims live. He can fit in with any type of crowd. He more than likely has few friends, only acquaintances who really do not know him. Either he has no family or they do not live around here. All of his relationships are more than likely superficial. He is probably not married, and has never really had a serious meaningful relationship.”

“We have two possible witnesses. I plan to have a sketch artist speak with them and hopefully get a resourceful picture for the public. Someone has seen this man. It is time to find out who he is so we can catch him before he strikes again. I have a feeling he has already chosen his next victim.” Kristen added looking at the officers that gathered in the room.

Kristen took her leave as the officers dispersed. She walked back to her desk and rummaged through witness statements, “I am going to head back to the hospital and try to find someone who may have been at the bar the night Diana Frost died. I also want to interview some of the doctors that worked with the other victims.”

“Okay, I can drive. We can split up and get done in half the time.” Scott suggested as they walked to the elevator.

Kristen was feeling restless and smothered. She needed some space. She has had so little time to herself the past few weeks since the murders have started. She knew she loved Scott and has for the past two years but she needed a break to think. She had to find a way to get a lead in this case before there was another murder.

“How about you contact crime scene examiner and see if they found any evidence from what they collected and the last crime scene. We need to find a link in these cases. You and I know it is the same killer. We need to convince the captain.”

Scott sensed her restlessness, “Okay, call me if you find anything. See you in a bit.” He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek as the elevator doors opened.

“Detective James?” a sharp dressed man holding a briefcase grabbed Scott’s hand. “I am Special Agent Cruz. This is my team, SSA Rollins, SSA Thomas, and our forensic analysis Dr. Weiss.”

“I am Detective Kristen James. This is my partner Detective Parker. Glad you could make it.” Kristen turned back toward the bullpen leading the Feds to a large conference room. All the billboards and evidence collected had already been transferred for Agent Rollins to study and analyze. “We have set this room up for you to use. If you need anything just let us know.”

“Dr Weiss will start evaluating the evidence you that’s been collected. We would like to start by  and she entered.seeing the first crime scene. Rollins go talk to the medical examiner.”

“Dr. Adamson,” Kristen interrupted.

“Dr. Adamson,” Cruz repeated as Captain Hooper entered.

“Captain Hooper,” Hooper introduced himself. “I am glad you are here. With four murders, I want all the help we can get.” Hooper shook Cruz’s hand.

“Captain, we are heading to the crime scene while Dr. Weiss and Rollins go over evidence and talk to the ME, Dr Adamson.” Cruz looked at Kristen. She nodded in agreement. “Let’s get going.”

*             *             *             *

Scott pulled up in front of the house of Diana Frost. Agents Cruz and Thomas followed behind. Kristen got out and led them up the walk, filling them in on what the crime scene looked like. Scott carried the file holding crime scene photos for them to study.

Kristen followed the agents into the house. Scott handed the file to Thomas. “He entered through the garage with the victim. Witnesses have been interviewed. We have had some leads to a bar across from the hospital.” Scott stated while Thomas opened the file to examine the photos.

“No fingerprints were found. Everything was wiped clean. The car was clean too. He changed the M.O. with her.” Kristen offered as they walked into the bedroom. The mattress was a rust color with Diana’s blood.

“Captain Hooper said there were three murders. Why did he omit this one?” Thomas looked at a photo of the open window then walked to the closed window.

“There was no element of surprise, the victim’s throat was cut and there was no rape. The sex was consensual. The victim did not live alone but had a roommate. I know they are linked. Captain Hooper thought more panic would spread after the last murder.”

“Good eye, Detective James. I think you are right. This looks more like a crime of opportunity. Something made him change. We need to figure out what and why. What would you do next?” Cruz looked at Kristen.

“Well,” Kristen started grabbing her notebook from her bag. “I think the answers are at the hospital. All the victims were working there. Our latest victim did not attend UW so that has been officially ruled out. I interviewed some of Dr. Frost’s co-workers yesterday and witnesses placed her at a place called Sam’s Pub the night she died. She left with a man around midnight. Her death was around one. Officers are canvassing the area and we are looking for anyone that may have seen his face.”

“Have you had the witness work with a sketch artist yet?”

“Sam, the owner and bartender, is coming in to give an official statement and make a sketch. I planned on heading back to the hospital this morning to interview some of the doctors who knew the victims. Dr. Torres and Sam are the key witnesses right now.”

“Thomas, head back to the station with Detective Parker. I am going to the hospital with Detective James to assist with the interviews. I want to speak with Dr. Torres, have her go through a sensory interview, try see if she can remember more.” Cruz walked out the front door. He climbed into the driver side of the SUV while Kristen opened to door to the passenger side. Scott frowned as he got in his car with Thomas.