Chapter 2 (edited)

• Dedicated to Marie Hannon

Chapter 2

Homicide detective Kristen James started off as an officer for Seattle police department when she graduated the academy at the age of twenty. She worked for six years to get promoted to detective and another three years to be moved to homicide. She has been working homicide for two years. She had just gotten her first big case as lead detective. An accomplishment she was proud of.

She groaned as her cell phone went off at 5:36 AM. She knew it was bad as she read the message. Another homicide... It was the third one in two weeks. Kristen rolled out of bed grabbing her clothes from the chair she had set out the night before, rushing to get dressed as her cell started ringing.

She was racing out the door as she answered the call. "Whatcha got, Scott?" she asked already knowing the answer. Scott Parker has been her partner for almost two years.

"Another female, same description, same MO... Her friend found her early this morning when she failed to meet her." Parker informed her as has read off the address to her.

"Okay, I will be there in ten minutes." Kristen hung up the phone and climbed into her pewter Lexus. She started it up and pulled a cigarette out of her console. She had quit smoking for almost a year but after the second killing she bought a pack which she kept for moments like these. She lit one up as she sped to the crime scene.

Kristen arrived at Creston Point Apartments and got out of her car. The crime scene had been taped off and officers examined the scene while keeping observers at bay. She ducked under the crime scene tape and sprinted up the stairs. There was a police officer standing at the first door she came to. He led her into the apartment sharing what he knew with her. The victim, Alexis Roberts, 23, lived alone in a one bedroom apartment overlooking the golf course in North Seattle.

As Kristen entered the apartment she scanned the living room spotting the witness, Jessica, sitting on the deep red sofa crying dressed in gym attire. There was a door to the left which entered the bedroom. Straight ahead she could see the balcony and kitchen which was to the left. The apartment next door would be opposite making the bedrooms far enough away from each that the neighbors would not hear what was going on.

"He entered through the balcony; there is an eight foot wall just below the balcony he could have climbed. He slipped in waiting for her. She didn't have a chance to struggle. Her cell phone was lying next to her bedroom door. Medical Examiner put the time of death at around 11PM." Parker led Kristen in to the bedroom where the victim was laying face-up on the bed as the mattress soaked up her own blood.

"He took the rope with him again, and the tape. You can see where he placed the tape over her mouth. It looks like it was removed post-mortem. It, also, looks like he is getting more violent. Look at these stab wounds, the bruising around them. He has learned where to inflict the wound without killing them right away; filleting her skin as he slid the knife. She went through Hell. Make sure to scrape under her nails. She's a strong girl, she put up a fight. Maybe we will get lucky." Kristen commented as she studied the victim lying on the bed in the middle of the bedroom.

"There is music playing in the bathroom. And there were candles still burning on the bathtub. Some of them burned out sometime in the night. Lucky they didn't start a fire. There was wine glass in the kitchen sink. There is no sign of any company. The witness, Jessica Holt, said she wasn't dating anyone and that she kept to herself, rarely going out." Scott let her know as she glanced into the bathroom, noticing the drops of blood in the bathroom sink. "He cleaned up before he left.

"Let's get her downtown and wait for the coroner's report. Maybe he can pull some kind of evidence from her." Kristen walked out on the balcony. "It rained last night, have forensics scan the grounds for footprints. We need to interview the neighbors, find out if anyone saw or heard anything. I'm going to talk to the witness."