Gingerbread Houses and Tears

AUTHORS NOTE: This oneshot takes place in the universe of Dear Robert, but it's not necessary to read the book to read this oneshot.

...

The last thing Robert expected to see when he got back from a few hours at his office to complete some paperwork that was piling up since his daughter's birth was to hear crying. Well maybe not the last thing considering a new born was in the house and his wife was quite emotional these days. But Abby, his daughter, was usually put down for a nap at this time, and usually Andy would either be napping with her, watching her nap, or doing some type of chore that needed to be done.

Although, Andy had been less emotional the past week or so compared to the days right after their daughter's birth. As he walked through the house, the crying only got louder. Finally, he found his wife sitting at the dining room table with her head in her hands and a collapsed gingerbread house in front of her. Meanwhile, Abby was laying in a bounder on the floor near her mother, just looking around confused.

"Andy, baby, what's wrong?" Robert asked, gently rubbing her back as he looked down at her. He had quickly learned to be careful with his words and tone of voice. The last thing he wanted to do was make whatever this situation was worse by pissing his wife off. A few minutes passed before Andy finally lifted her head up to look at her husband. Tears were streaming down her face and her eyes were all red and puffy.

"Her first Christmas is coming up, and she wouldn't go down for a nap so I thought I'd put the gingerbread house together," Andy began as she wiped the tears off her face. "You know I never made one before and I thought it would be fun and I want her first christmas to be special. And I messed it all up Robert, I messed it up." Andy said as she let out a sob, getting up and leaning her head on her husband's chest as she did so. Robert gently rubbed her back and kissed the top of her head. The two stood there for a moment before Andy finally managed to look up.

"Andy, you didn't mess it up. Gingerbread houses like these almost always mess up. And Abby, well she's not even a month old yet. There will be plenty of more chances to build gingerbread houses with her when she gets older. For now, I think this one is perfect, even if it's collapsed." Robert spoke, his head going from his wife to his daughter who still was laying in the bouncer on the floor. He quickly pressed a kiss to his wife's head before turning around and genty taking the small baby out of the bouncer.

As Robert stood back up, Andy couldn't help but smile at the sight. He always knew the right words to calm her down, and when he didn't he knew exactly what to do. "I guess you're right, I just want everything in her life to be as perfect as it can be. I want her to have the memories I don't have. I want her to be happy and know she's loved." Andy whispered, looking at the little girl in her husband's arms, knowing all too well she would grow up before either her or her husband realized it.

Robert smiled as he gently led his wife to the living room so the three of them could sit down. Not too much later, the three were sitting on the couch, Andy now holding their baby, and he holding her. "This, this right here is the most perfect thing we've ever had. And even when it's not perfect, we have each other and that's all that matters. She's going to have every memory you and I ever dreamed of having plus so much more. Every second of every day from the second you found out about having our little girl you have loved her. I've seen the way you look at her and talk to her. She might just be a baby, but she sees it too. She knows she's loved." Robert whispered to the side of her head.

A small smile creeped on Andy's face as she listened to her husband's sweet words. She quickly looked down at the little girl in her arm's whose eyes were beginning to close before leaning her head on her husband's shoulder. "Thank you." She whispered. A moment later robert whispered "Always," back before he pressed his lips to her forehead once more. And he meant it. As long as he could be, he would always be there for his wife and his daughter, even if it was over something silly like a collapsed gingerbread house.