Chapter 1

"Come on, Reyna. This could be our last birthday together" My best friend, Rita said. We were born on the same day, April 19th.

"Don't be silly. This is among the many more birthdays we would share together." I nudged her gently in the ribs.

She just nervously chuckled.

I have been getting those recently. It's either my mother would give me a look like I would soon leave her or my dad would say things that would also hint that I might leave them soon or the pack members giving me pitiful glances when they see me walk by.

I didn't really think too much about it, seeing that if my parents wanted to tell me something that they would. That was then and now it's getting unbearable.

"What's with the nervous thing that has been going on with everyone? Like I would be gone forever and they already miss me" I questioned.

"How should I know? How would I know? I'm not in their head or anything. And it's not like there is something we're hiding from you. And if we were..."

"Rita"

"Hmm" she stopped talking.

"You're rambling."

"So?"

"So, it means you're telling me lies."

"I'm not lying." She denied rather quickly.

With my advanced hearing as an alpha's child, I could hear her heart beat and it was beating a thousand times per second.

"What are you not telling me, Rita?" I asked.

"Nothing." She denied shaking her head.

"Why are you lying to me?"

"I..." She began but was cut off by a warrior.

"Alpha Reyna" I turned upon hearing my name.

"Yes, Benjamin." I glanced at Rita and saw her sighing of relief. I furrowed my eyebrows in curiosity and turned back to Benjamin.

"Alpha Michael and Luna  Sage have requested your presence in their office"

"Ok. I would meet them immediately. "

I turned to Rita and shot her a look that said I wasn't done with her yet, then left the store.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"Reyna we have something to tell you." My mother began as soon as I sat on the couch in their office.

"Does it involve the way everyone has been acting around me, as if I might leave the next minute?" I said folding my arms in front of me.

My father's eyebrows went high up to his hair, then he chuckled and said "You're too clever for your own good."

I would have laughed back or at least smiled but I didn't.

"So what's happening?"

My father sighed running his hand through his gradually greying hair. "The reason you haven't met your mate is because you already have."

"What? How?" I asked unfolding my arms and sitting upright, feeling anxious all of a sudden.

"He met you on the day of your naming celebration." My mother added sitting close to my father on the opposite of me.

"We were celebrating you, unknown to us that he was planning an attack on our pack. The border patrols got distracted and didn't alert the pack on time. When we heard the siren, destruction had already happened. All the pack members gathered at the pack house to go to the panic room." My father said.

My mother continued. "But it was too late as the pack house door came tumbling down by whatever bomb they used. You were crying hysterically and I couldn't get you to calm down no matter what. That got his attention. He turned towards you and started advancing towards us.

"I thought he was going to hurt you, so I started retreating slowly backwards. But he growled so deep that I stopped out of fear that he might hurt you.

"When I stopped he started coming closer again, this time you were screaming louder than ever. He had gotten close enough to see your face. He reached out to touch your face, while I tried my best to remain as calm as possible. His touch caused a reaction, you stopped crying and opened your eyes. Then, you did the unthinkable and reached out to him. He hesitated at first, then took you in his arms.

"He looked at you with such love, tenderness and adoration that it was hard to believe the same man was just recently destroying our pack. Then you smiled up at him, that was your first smile, and he smiled back and said 'Mate' and I knew my greatest fear had come to pass.

"I started pleading with him not to take you away because he looked like he wanted to. He continued staring at you. He then looked up at me and said he was going to leave you for now, but would be back to take you at 21 and you would be his completely.

"I had already started planning on how we were going to take you far away, even if it was to live with the humans, just so you wouldn't be taken away from me. But it was like he could hear my thoughts, he turned to me and glared so hard saying if I ever try to keep you from him when he wants to take you, we would regret it. And with that he kissed you on your head and handed you back to me and left."

My father finally spoke "We wanted you to live a normal life without you thinking about how you would be taken at 21 hanging over your head. So we told the pack not  to say a thing to you when you get older."

"I get you were trying to protect me, thank you for that. But didn't you think that I would have liked to know beforehand so I could mentally prepare myself that at a certain age my mate, that everyone knows about except me, would come and whisk me off ." I sighed, rubbing in between my eyebrows.

My mother stood up and strode to where I was sitting and sat down beside me, putting her hand on my shoulder. "Please don't be mad with us. We only did what we felt was right for you."

I hugged her back "I am not mad at you mom. I'm just sad. Guess I'm not going to stay with you forever." I tried to joke with them, they only gave me a smile in return. Since I am the first and only alpha given birth to by my parents, it was thought that when I find my mate, he would take  over and become the alpha.

My dad came and sat at the other side of me and hugged me form the other side."What are you talking about sweetie? Even though you won't be with us, you can always video call us using that app. What's the name of that thing again?"

"It's called Skype, Dad, and basically any other social media out there." I said.

"Whatever. We can always videocall and talk to each other. Don't be sad, okay sweetheart." He said, kissing my temple.

"Yes, dad."

We were quiet for a while, just basking in each other's comfort.

A sudden thought came to me. Alphas were known to cause trouble for their neighbouring packs, so I was curious to know which alpha could it have been.

"Mom. Dad."

"Hmm."

"Who is my mate?"

They both froze and gave each other glances.

My dad sighed and said "Alpha King Giovanni."

It was my turn to freeze.

Yes finally. Just quickly wrote this before sleeping before my mother gets up and wonders what I am still doing awake.

Anyway how do you like it.
Comment and like because you are the best.
Have a beautiful life.

Beautybehindthepain.

Follow my writing page on Instagram @beautybehindthepain

And my personal @_vanessaeg_
Thanks