On the Run

Time passed and soon we could feel the change in the air. The change that meant spring was upon us. Flowers sprang up along the outer perimeter of the fences that surrounded our camp and one could hear the buzzing of bees as they flew from flower to flower, collecting pollen to take back to their hive. We were anxious about our escape, yet we did our best to conceal our anxiety so that our plan would not be foiled. If we succeeded we would be the only free Muslims in the entire world that we knew of. Granted a fugitive's life was not one any of us wanted, but anything was better than to be treated like animals and kept locked away from the world, not knowing what was happening to our Muslim brethren.

We decided to flee in the evening when most of the guards would be sleeping. We got word to the other families about our plan and they got word to the Muslims in the cages who would create a distraction for us to get away. Everyone was nervous and scared. If we got caught we would be killed. But we also knew that Allah would deliver us from this evil tyranny if we kept faith in Him.

Night came and we met secretly by the fence. There was a blind spot between two guard towers. We would take advantage of the blind spot and run while the Muslims in the cages created a distraction for us. We would know when it was time to escape when we heard the call of the crow. We waited there silently for twenty minutes and then there were shouts from the guards. Shortly after was the call of the crow and we instantly sprang into action. Quickly we climbed over the fence, our hands getting cut on the sharp wire at the top. As soon as we hit the ground we began running for our lives knowing that if we got caught it would mean the end for us all.

We managed to get through the minefield before the guards noticed we were gone. A shout rang out and we heard the sound of gun shots. Bullets whizzed past us as we struggled to see in the dark, often stumbling over rocks hidden beneath the sand. But the guards were just as helpless as we were at seeing in the dark. We used that to our advantage and pressed further onward, our hearts struggling to beat and adrenaline coursing through our veins. This was a life or death situation. If we did not become free now then everything was lost.

By some miracle none of the bullets hit any of us and we kept running until the sky began to lighten. We were tired from our escape but knew that it was dangerous to sleep in the open. Come daylight the guards would be after us and they would take us back to the camp alive or dead. Hakeem managed to find a small cave and we crowded into it; collapsing from our run. One by run we snuck outside to perform dry ablution since there was no water and then prayed the dawn prayer which was followed up by an optional prayer in which we thanked Allah for saving us from death and helping us escape. We also prayed for the Muslims back in the camp, especially the ones who had helped us escape. They would suffer a high price if we were not caught.

Exhausted from our run we fell asleep in the cave, our bodies huddled together in the cramped space. We were too exhausted to stand watch so we covered the small entrance with a tarmac one of the Muslims had stolen from the officers' barracks before our flight. We got up four times that day to pray our other four daily prayers and then when night fell we got to our feet and continued running. We had no idea where we were going. But anyplace was better than what we had escaped from. Better to be a fugitive than to be a prisoner.

"Mommy what's going to happen to us?" Rahmat asked me.

"I don't know Rahmat. Only Allah knows what will become of us."

"What about the Muslims who helped us escape? What is going to happen to them?"

"I doubt the American soldiers would let them live. But if they die, Insha Allah they will be rewarded heaven for helping us."