Chapter 1 Tris

I wake on a bed in a small, clean, white room with no windows. My whole body aches madly in strange places. Where even am I? I tried to think back to the past night's events but have no luck. I try to sit up but that makes the pain even more unbearable. My blond hair surrounds my head in a fuzzy halo. Once bright and strawberry-like, the hair now sticks to my head dully. I can't even tell what time it is, since the lighting in the room is artificial. Now that there is no sunlight in the room, I miss it dearly. "Come on." I murmur to myself, as I clench my teeth and brace myself to try and get up. I end up sitting at an odd angle and decide to leave it that way. I sigh a heavy sigh. I advert my eyes away from the room to check what on earth aches so badly.I gasp. My stomach, arm, chest, leg and many other places have bloody bandages and stitches. I have more blood on my body rather than flesh. I was too confused and tired to do anything.I didn't know what to make of this, so I just sat there nimbly, until a blanket of sleep engulfed me in its embrace.

My eyes pop open, reacting to shuffling footsteps outside of the bland white door. The door knob turns, revealing a tall, handsome boy with warm amber skin. My eyes widen and almost shoot out of my head. "U-uriah?" I stammer. He doesn't look as surprised as I did, but smiles widely. "How? W-what?" I struggle for air. I finally manage to gasp,"Your alive?" He steps toward me. "I am just here to check on you, I'm not allowed to explain", he says, "I'll be right back" he exits the room, leaving me with my mouth open. I just sit for a moment, trying to organize my thoughts. The first question that pops in to my head is, how? How is Uriah still alive? What is going on? What happened? I desperately try to figure out my questions on my own. I yearn for the answers.

A few minutes later, Uriah comes back with a rolling hospital bed and two other men who I don't recognize. Uriah helps me on to the bed. He takes out a small black box. He opens that and takes out a syringe with a clear liquid. My body goes tense. "Arm or neck, Tris?" He asks calmly. "Arm." I say, still stiff. I didn't realize until now that it hurts to talk. Every time I moved my jaw, a throbbing pressure increases, spreading through my head, making it feel like a rock. I hold out my arm. I barely feel the pinch as Uriah insterts the needle. I lay down as Uriah and his friends wheel me down an unrecognizable building. My head feels fuzzier and fuzzier by the minute.

My eyes close.

When I opened my eyes, it almost gave me a heart attack. There in front of me stood my mother, Uriah, and... "Jeanine?" I say. She nods back. We appear to be in a circular room. My mother comes to me and hugs me. A warm, cozy, embrace that I scarcely remembered until now. I close my eyes ignore the others, my mind only in this moment. My mother looks up. There are tears in her grey eyes.

Jeanine speaks, "Hello, Beatrice." She gives me a genuine smile. I barely process her words, though. I am too busy looking around at everyone. She waits until my attention is back on her. "I believe we owe you an explanation." I nod. "But first, I need you to answer some questions for me." I nod again. "What do you remember from.." She hesitates. "Yesterday." She says, as if testing me. My brows furrow. I scratch my brain for a slit, maybe a silver of a memory. "Nothing." I say. "What happened to me?" She shakes her head. "That's not important." "What is you full name?" "Beatrice Prior" I reply. My mother stifles a sob. "What is the last thing you remember?"

"The... Fringe...." I try to make sense of what was going through my head. "The bureau... Chicago.... Tobias!" I yelp. My memories came flooding back into my head like a flurry. I got shot.. I died. They watched me, studying my every move. "HowdidInotdie?!" I shrieked. Jeanine's expression was calm.

"Let me explain."