Chapter 2-Tris

Sunlight dappled through the blinds on my window, creating little strips of light playing on my bare knees. I got up and put on a shirt and a pair of jeans. Not knowing what to do with myself, I sat down on my bed, trying to relax a bit.

Jeanine told me the truth about what happened. After I got severly wounded in several places, they took me to a small town south of Chicago called Kankakee, where the Allegiant set up a research laboratory of serums. They replaced my body with a life-like clone, for everyone living back in Chicago.

They injected me with the incredibly complex Emergent serum. It is a serum where it brings all your memories together and binds them back into a mind. No matter if the heart's working, the mind forces the heart to work. I was lucky I wasn't shot in the heart, that would have meant permanent damage, because of the time they found my body. The Bureau  found my mother's body, so she was the first person to be tested on the Emergent serum. The Allegiant stole the serum after the Bureau was defeated, and developed it further. It plunges your mind into a ten month coma, in Uriah and myself's case, five months. The serum is only works for the genetically pure, so I guess Uriah and I got lucky. I'm glad that I am the person who almost died. What if it was Tobias? He wouldn't make it.

Without knowing, my eyes shed a tear at the thought of Tobias. I bite my lip as my vision becomes blurred. The tears come more quickly, sending me into an uncontrollable sob.

The Allegiant told me to stay in Kankakee for another year, as I have not fully recovered yet. I feel like a science experiment, with my daily routine of being jabbed with machines and needles. They tell me it's for checking my progress, but I know their using the data collected from me to develop the serum, too.

I hear quiet footsteps outside my room. The door creaks open to reveal my mother, dressed in white. Nobody cared what they wore anymore, but my mother's wardrobe consisted of pure white clothing.

"Their waiting, Beatrice." She says, smiling softly.

"I know." I say, sighing.

I am nervous still, even though I have done the test about a thousand times.

It makes it worse, knowing that Jeanine is receiving  the results. Oh, yes, Jeanine took over the Allegiant after Johanna and Eveline abandoned it. But she promised she has left her old ambitions behind, back in Chicago. I still don't trust her.