The Phantom of the Opera

Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before
Close your eyes and let music set you free
Only then can you belong to me

Browne's Corner Shoppe was a tall, thin building that, if you weren't looking for it, was easily missed. There were no windows looking into the store and only a faint, hanging wood sign that pointed down to an old door to announce its presence.

The inside was a dimly lit yellow hew that only accented how old the business actually was. Elgin Browne was the oldest apothecary owner in Great Britain and it showed with the creases on the checkout counter and the lines under his eyes behind said counter.

"Hullo," a voice called from a back room, "Be with ya in a moment."

Hermione waited patiently, casually perusing the potion bottles and bagged snacks that was offered on a nearby table.

When Elgin came out, he was wiping his hands on an already stained rag. A quick sniff and Hermione knew he must be brewing a batch of pepper-up potion by the intense spearmint fumes wafting from the now open room.

"Hello, Mr. Browne." Hermione said, sticking out her right hand straight. She awkwardly dropped it to her side when Elgin didn't reach to meet her shake.

"Sorry, do I know you?"

"Yes-- Well," Hermione explained, "no. My name is Hermione Granger. I work for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures and I--"

Elgin laughed, dropping himself into a seat behind the counter and folding his arms over his chest.

"Yeah, of course. I figured one of you would be comin' 'round here at some point."

"Pardon?"

"You're here about the wolfsbane bill abolishment, right? Listen ma'am, you're barking up the wrong tree. I had nothin' ta'do with it."

Hermione's mouth twisted to the side. "I don't understand. You didn't support the bill being abolished?"

Elgin shrugged, tucking his hands under his armpits. Even sitting down you could tell he was a tall, burly man. "I didn't not support it. I can't lie and say I'm not happy I won't be losin' money each month from free potions. But like I said, I had nothin' ta'do with it. Poole spearheaded the whole thing. Brought it to your board, didn't ask any of us for a vote or anythin'."

"I actually just came to talk to you--"

"No, you didn't."

Hermione blinked, almost recoiling back in shock. "I didn't?"

"I'm almost 100 years old, ma'am. I know when someone wants something from me like I know what a sunset looks like. So," he opened his arms in an opening manner, "why are you really here?"

This was something Hermione hadn't experienced before. Most people wanted to be smoozed first. Dinner or drinks or a donation or a laugh at a joke that was not funny. That was what He was teaching her to do now with nice dresses and talking points and openings to charm your way in.

But directness? Hermione could do direct, without a note.

"Alright, sure," Hermione mimicked his stance, tucking her arms into her elbows in front of her chest. "I don't think it was fair for the board to take away such a huge legislative piece, especially without even attempting to involve anyone from the DRCMC or the werewolf community. It left a lot of people vulnerable. I'm going to create a new bill to take in front of the board and I want your support. More than that, I want your input-- your information. Why pushed for this and why?"

Browne pursed his lips in thought. He was silent for a moment before turning and walking back to the door he had just come though.

Hermione huffed. "Excuse me--"