Fifteen: Jack

I wait for a response, my heartbeat sounding like a clock. Beating to a steady rhythm. When she does respond, the message comes up slow, taking its time to come through. Not knowing that one the other end, is a very desperate and impatient sixteen year old boy.
It sends through. "Well . . .," I read. "I actually made a fake account, I was trying to find your number or something." I can picture her saying it. Partially shy, but confident. Always thinking before saying.

"Oh, here," I message back, along with my number. Rubbing my head in concentration, I think. Maybe I could do something with her. The dance isn't for a whole month or so. Maybe she does like me, maybe I've been worrying for nothing. Her enthusiastic response to me asking her out sure says a lot.

"Thanks," texts Alice.

"No prob." I pause, wondering. Should I ask her? Where would we go? Smiling, I type, letting my fingers fly across the keys. "Are you free tonight? Around, say, five or six?"
"Why," she responds. "I think I am. Of course, I'll have to get past ol' dictator daddy." I laugh.

"Of course. Tell him you're going out with a friend."

"Oh, he don't care. Abandon me here enough times," I sense a hint of hurt sadness in her message. The screen blips and piece of a message slides down from the top. It's from Dahlia. I click it. Jack! How are you? Oh darn it, Dahlia. I ain't responding. I find Alice's conversation again and type.

"Sorry bout that. So see you at six?" I say, trying to sound sympathetic. But when reading over the text, it doesn't sound how I'd hoped.

"Yeah. Where? Where are you taking me anyway? Just goin put me in the car? Drive down the highway? Maybe go to Atlanta?" Sarcasm drips from her text.

"Haha, very funny, no, I ain't goin kidnap you," I say. "Just meet me at the old gas station down the street from the high school." That's it. I've asked her.

"K, bye Jack. See you then," her last text feels like water. I want more, just want to talk with her more, but it keeps dripping through my fingers, falling too quickly to catch it, and it drops into oblivion.