3- Grass

It simultaneously made her blood run cold and boil. Not knowing what to expect. The feeling of ever increasing powerlessness...She hated all of it. If he was the one who had...If he had anything to her sister she was going to hurt him. No, She was going to destroy him. No matter how scared she felt, she was going to find a way to cut him down. Even if all she had at hand was a blade no longer than her thumb.

Once again the stranger came closer. This time it was, despite a visible limp, in an annoyingly cocky manner,  almost opposite of before, but he stopped a good distance away and didn't seem to intend any further movement. At least for the moment. That was when he spoke again, insultingly enough daring to keep a coy tone to his voice. "You saw through it. I'm impressed little witch."  he didn't bother explaining what, but by now Kirsha knew. She'd heard more than enough stories of various fae enchanting and luring humans, only for the poor sods to later be found rotten, half-eaten and barely even recognizable as human. 

It was common knowledge most of his ilk had at the very least a mischievous, if not outright malevolent, nature. That's why the inquisitors hunted the fae as much as the witches. Some even believed witches had fae blood within them...Unlikely her mother had explained to her, and sadly for Kirsha, the saying of the enemy of my enemy is my friend did not apply here. Some witches managed to make friends with the more benign fae, but for the most part types like kelpies didn't care who or what they had for dinner.

"Why thank you that sure makes me feel better..." Kirsha practically spat out the words as she finally answered the beast.

The kelpie made a show of brushing a lock of red hair behind one of his ears and chuckled.

She eyed her surroundings carefully through narrowed eyes, looking for anything that may be of help if he chose to close in.  "Why did you try to eat me?" Of course, she knew it was a stupid question, but figured better try and keep his mouth occupied with words, rather than other things.

He shrugged putting on an almost apologetic expression. "Well..." Again it looked as if he was considering his words. "Eating is a word that carries several meanings and you are rather fetching and exotic looking little thing. Simply couldn't help, but approach."

Kirsha clearly wasn't impressed by the answer, and after a rather awkward pause the fae admitted. "Look a kelpie can't live off grass."

At that Kirsha raised a brow in an almost sardonic manner. "From what I heard your kind do bear a striking resemblance to horses, shapeshifter, so I don't see why you wouldn't."

This clearly humored the fiend, who fell into a cackling laughter. "Oh dear, oh dear, I'm afraid I have to disappoint you. As much as a horse can breathe underwater I can eat grass. The resemblance between us and your dumb mounts is purely superficial."

"Well, in that case why not just catch a deer or an elk? Much meatier than a little witch I imagine."

"What can I say? Usually, I would. It's much less of a hassle, and I'm not pestered with stupid questions, but one can't be too choosy as of lately."

Kirshas brows furrowed.

"But if you think I ate that tasty little morsel you're looking for, no, someone else got to her before me."

The young woman wasn't sure if she should be relieved or terrified. "Someone else?"

"Come closer and I'll whisper in your ear." The kelpie winked.

Kirsha frowned. "Is she alive?"

"Mmm, I wonder. Provided I know, why would I tell you?"

"So you don't. Implying, you didn't see her killed."

For a moment the bastard looked like he wasn't sure what to say. "And what if I did?.."

"You would have rubbed salt in my wounds and done so gleefully." 

The kelpie raised a brow. Again almost looking a little impressed. "Fair enough...I will admit, indeed I would be inclined to do that after you nearly stabbed me in the dick, but, our grievances aside, how about you tell me: Why care so much for that child?"

"...What does it matter to you?" Her tone was suspicious. 

"It doesn't really. I'm just curious. You don't look much the same."

"We have different fathers."

"Oooh I see." The positively punchable smirk was back.

"Goodbye." 

"Oh, done already? Are you not curious who took her or which direction they left?"

"I can guess." Her tone was dry, but she was telling the truth. Halfway at least. She didn't understand why the hunters had only taken her sister and not done a better job of searching for her, but it had to have been them. And they must have gone back the way they came. At least for now, while she still had some slim chance of catching up to them. Slowly, she began backing away further.

"Hey! Easy now, easy now! No need to be in a hurry." He took a few quick steps forward, right up to the shore. Something about his demeanor had shifted.

"No, actually I need to be in a hurry." 

"Well...You do, but listen! They split in two- Two went further down that path and I'm sure are looking for you right now! And -- all of them are on horseback! You'd never never actually catch up to those who left, but those searching for you will most certainly eventually turn around and catch up with you."

"So you're about to suggest what? That I just take a seat on your back then, ay, shapeshifter, and you'll carry me up to the ones I need to get to?"

"Well..."

For a moment her mouth was left hanging. "Are you...touched in the head? Do you really think I'm that stupid?"

He brushed his fingers through his hair and let out a deep sigh. the tension in the air grew. "Listen witch, usually I wouldn't hunt one like you. Even if I don't particularly like your kind. I was driven by hunger. Still am, but at least let me suggest a more...mutually beneficial agreement. You need my help." 

Kirshas eyes narrowed. "Somehow I don't feel inclined to believe you. What do you even stand to gain from supposedly helping me?" 

For a moment he once again looked hesitant. This false show of vulnerability was not something she should have fallen for after what had just happened. He was a trickster. That much she knew...except he didn't look her in the eye this time. He didn't try to convince her. It looked more like he was unsure if he should admit something. Trying to find the right words to say.

Then he said it. Heavy words laced with bitterness. "Freedom...That's what I stand to gain."